Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Peace on Earth, and Within You


It's becoming kind of annual tradition, I guess. At this time of year, I keep seeing the message "Peace on Earth," which is tied to Christmas, and is a very good thing. And it always makes me think about Peace within as well. It's something we all need as cancer patients, and maybe even just a little more as Follicular Lymphoma patients. But we al need some Peace, whether we are patients of some kind or other, or not.

And as I usually say, today is Christmas, celebrated by many people around the world, and I'm sure by many readers. Probably not all. But the "Peace on Earth" message -- and my wish for Peace within each of us -- applies for everyone, no matter what you believe.

When I think of that phrase, "Peace on Earth," it is often followed by "And goodwill to all men." I think we probably need that part, too, if we're going to have Peace (on earth or inside us). It seems like we're too quick to be mean to others, or to just not understand them.

Last Saturday, my family and I drive up to Boston to see a show. It's a two hour drive. We parked in Harvard Square, hung out at a bookstore, had lunch at a little place that didn't have a bathroom, and then sat for a three and a half hour musical. It was delightful. After the show, we went back to the car, parked in a garage nearby. As we pulled out of the space, there was a car parked behind us, with its hazard lights flashing. Another car came along behind him and beeped for him to get out of the way. The first car moved a little, then stopped. The second car beeped again. The first car pulled up, going around a corner, and then stopped again. The second car went past, but now I was behind the stopped car. I beeped for him to pull up, since the angle I had taken when I went around the corner was too sharp, and I couldn't get passed him. He rolled down his window and stuck his hand out to wave me passed. I rolled down my window and asked him to move up since I couldn't get by. He yelled out, "The other guy in front of you could get by!" in an angry Boston accent.

I grew up in Boston. My wife says when I go back up there, I change a little. I get just a little more aggressive, especially when I'm driving. The man did pull up a few feet, and I resisted the temptation to yell out a sarcastic "Merry Christmas!" as I drove by.

It took me 15 minutes to get my blood pressure back down. But at some point on the drive home, it came to me: that guy had lost his parking ticket. He was going to have to pay a full day's price for just the few hours that he parked. He was probably angry at whoever was supposed to have hung on to that ticket. That had to be it. Why else would someone just stop in the garage and get that angry?

I was glad I suppressed my Boston and didn't say anything else to him as I drove by. He didn't need any more stress. I didn't need any more stress.

I've seen a dozen different versions of this meme online:





 I don't know who said the "real" version, and it doesn't matter. It's absolutely true.

 It's a very popular meme in the chronic illness community (which I consider Follicular Lymphoma to be a part of). Many people have "invisible illnesses." Again, those of us with FL are included (how many times have you heard "But you don't look sick"?). Whether it's a physical condition, or a mental or emotional one, whether it's a temporary problem, or a permanent one, we could al use a little kindness.  That's what leads to Peace.

But unless everybody gives a little, nobody gets any.

So that's my wish for you all this season. May others be kind to you and give you a little Peace. And may you return it to them. A little understanding of your own might bring you some Peace, too.

Enjoy your day. 






2 comments:

icrazyhorse said...

Hello Bob

Be kind - it's a great message Bob - I will share it with others. I wish you and your family a most Merry and HEALTHY Christmas.

William

Mylegacy said...

Bob, When I was a kid and at that age when I argued about everything - including God or god as I now call him/her/it - she asked me, "Say there is no God and you spent your 60 years here on earth being kind, truthful, honest and caring and then you died and went to dust. Would that be such a bad life to live? And, if you're wrong and there is a GOD you might accidentally end up in a Heaven you didn't even think existed. That wouldn't too bad a reward for a life well spent."

Mom's are hard to argue with. Now I'm 73 with FL (just had my second skin cancer cut out) and I love Jesus. I decided not to get mad at god (the self confessed multiple occasion mass murderer) but to discover Jesus. Forget the Bible, the two books, just read the sections in the New Testament where Jesus is SPECIFICALLY quoted. Every place Jesus refers to God - replace that word with "Humanity." What is revealed is how Humans can act as Gods.

Being "kind" is a spectacular way to begin become a Human.

Bob, best of the season to you and your family, and may your next year and theirs be guided by "kindness." Love your blog - I'm here to learn from you every day - year round - even Christmas day!