Friday, December 6, 2019

Lympho Bob on Stage


Despite the title of this post, I'm not going to be performing on stage anytime soon (though my family can tell you that I think I would absolutely kill as Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof.  As long as the director went with my interpretation of "Do You Love Me?").

It also doesn't mean that my life story is going to be performed onstage anytime soon, either. Two years of watching and waiting doesn't make for riveting theater. Plus, Waiting for Godot pretty much covered that already.

But I found out yesterday that Lympho Bob made it into a play that was performed Off Broadway earlier this year.

The play is called God Said This, and it was written by Leah Nanako Winkler. It won the 2018 Yale Drama Series competition. Nanako Winkler's own website describes it like this: "James, a recovering alcoholic seeks redemption from his family when his wife is diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of uterine cancer. John, a thirty-something single dad searches for a legacy for his only son while Hiro, a single NYC transplant struggles to let go of the demons she inherited. Sophie, a born again Christian, confronts her faith as she comes to terms with the inevitable death of her parents, her own shortcomings and some broken dreams. This is a play about five Godless and God-loving people in Lexington, Kentucky who face mortality in very different ways."

The introduction to the written version of the play talks about the identity issues that it brings up -- how the labels that are put on us can affect us as we accept, reject, and come to terms with them.

In one part of the play, characters read from what others have said online about having cancer. That's where Lympho Bob comes in:



If you can't see the image, it includes the character James reading the quote "Right now, I'm scribblin' in the sunshine on a notebook littered with bumper stickers from Gotcancer.org -- thanks for the rec Lympho Bob. My favorite? The one that says CCKMA: CANCER CAN KISS MY ASS!!!!!"

So it's not like I'm a character or anything, or even that a character talks about me. It's a character reading from someone who talks about a website recommendation that I made on the blog. Like, five levels from actually being me.

Still, how cool is that?

It gave me a lift. I've been in one of those periods lately where I'm a little overwhelmed with other things, and I can't give the blog and my other cancer advocacy the time and attention that I'd like to. So that little reminder that I'm reaching people was really nice.

Plus, the play sounds great. So many connections for me -- I go to a Yale hospital, I grew up in and now live in the northeast, but I lived in Kentucky for 5 years. And, of course, the whole idea of thinking about Identity is something I've been kind of obsessed with for a few years -- what it means to be a "cancer patient" or a "survivor" and how the words we use to describe ourselves, and the words others use to describe us, can affect the way we deal with the disease. It's something I write about a lot in small ways. I'm working on a big piece that looks into it more deeply, but it's a ways off. Still thinking it all through.

I wish I'd known about Lympho Bob the reference in the play earlier. I'd have brought the whole family to see it. We're a very easy train ride from New York City, and we see shows there all the time. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be performed nearby again sometime soon.

(In the meantime, cancer really can kiss my ass.)


8 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Congratulations on your "15 minutes" Bob. You really do reach people. This blog has been a God send for me and I'm quite certain many others as well.
In the meantime, breath, take it easy and you will get though these Holidays...it's difficult to get through them after a loss.
You, me and many of us have so much to be thankful for. You are one of the things I'm very thankful for...
Best wishes for a wonderful, blessed Holiday Season,
Jacqueline
12+ year fNHL survivor

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,

Just had a 6-month visit with my oncologist. He's a Memorial Sloan Kettering doctor and I asked him what's in the FL drug pipeline. He said that he was on a team that has a poster at the upcoming ASH about a drug called Mosunetuzumab. He was very excited about it and said that the results were powerful in FL patients. I did a Google search and found a good article covering the trial: https://www.targetedonc.com/news/expert-highlights-early-efficacy-seen-with-mosunetuzumab-in-follicular-lymphoma-and-dlbcl

Anonymous said...

Oh well done Bob. You are reaching people from all over the world. I look forward to your blog every few day. I write to you from Dublin, Ireland

Lymphomaniac said...

Jacqueline and my friend from Dublin,
Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad I can help.
Bob

icrazyhorse said...

Hi Bob

Like others, I look forward each day to reading your blog. And I just bought the original 'Fiddler on the Roof" - I love that movie.

William

Lynda said...

Hi Bob,

Congratulations that’s very cool! I don’t comment all that often but I do check in regularly. I want you to know your blog means so much to me and I‘m very thankful you’ve been here for the past 4 1/2 years since I’ve been diagnosed. It’s a place that’s always uplifting and filled with good information. So today I just want to thank you for all that you share and all that you do! May you and your family have a wonderful holiday season. I’ve mentioned your blog in an online blood cancer support group offered by CancerCare and I know others from there are reading along now. I’m currently in treatment again after 3 years of remission and cancer can kiss my ass too!

Shelly said...

That's got to feel good Bob - look how far-reaching your blog has become. Congratulations! Run with it! Happy Holidays my friend,
Shelly

Cindy Stretch said...

So cool! You're an allusion!!!