Monday, February 25, 2008

Good Doctor Visit

Saw Dr. R, the oncologist, this morning. The quick summary is that I'm stable -- no changes in my health, how I'm feeling, or anything physical or blood-related. That's all good news.

**********************

These visits begin with my having a blood sample taken. They have blood techs and analysis equipment right in the office, so we get the results in five minutes. As with the last visit, Dr. R said my blood was "perfect." Certain cancers rely heavily on frequent blood analysis (Lance Armstrong talks about this in his book), but that's less true with some lymphomas, including mine. There are about 30 different types of NHL, and at least two types of follicular NHL. One type behaves more like leukemia, and affects the blood significantly. My version affects the lymph nodes. (In fact, he said today that I had a fairly straightforward "classic" type of fNHL. Some behave so erratically that they're kind of thrown when they need to decide what to do. Mine doesn't seem to be like that.)

So while I don't have a blood-focused fNHL, they can still find some clues in my blood about possible progression of the disease. Red or white blood cell counts may be low or high, platelets may be low or high, there may be some signal that my kidneys or liver are straining to do their jobs, that kind of thing. Any of that could be a signal that they need to run some other tests. None of that was an issue this time.

In addition to blood work, they do a physical exam, checking eyes and mouth, and feeling for various spots where a swollen lymph node might be close enough to the surface to be able to feel (neck, groin, collar bone, underarms). Nothing new there. The initial spot near my hip bone is still swollen. The bump I thought I had felt under my chin turned out to be nothing. Probably an English teacher's well-developed jaw muscle. (My joke, not his.)

The other way they indicate progression, besides blood and swollen nodes, is by checking "B" symptoms -- weight loss, night sweats and chills, fatigue. Obviously, that needs to be reported by me in order for the doctor to think it's an issue. I haven't felt anything like that.

So, he's pronouncing me stable. I'll go back in a month for a similar exam. He said after that, we may go every two months. We'll also do period CT and PET scans to make sure there's nothing going on that we can't see.

So far, so good.

And while we debated about whether it would be better to be stable for a while, or begin treatment and feel like we're doing something, I'd say I was happier to hear that I'm stable.

I had questions for him too, mostly about the nature of fNHL, just to clarify some of what I've been reading.

I opened with this: "I was reading an article called "Folicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Revisited" by Saul Rosenburg in the Journal of Clinical Oncology's February issue...."

And I could see the look on his face. It said something like: "I graduated with High Honors from Case Western Reserve, then at the top of my class at Yale Medical School, then was awarded a prestigious fellowship in Hematological Oncology. I didn't kiss a girl until I was 28. And yet, this guy is a bigger nerd than I am....."

He admitted that he hadn't had a chance to read the article yet, and thanked me for pointing it out to him. But he was obviously up on the issues that were in the article, and that's what I was really interested in. In particular, I wanted to know about the transformative nature of follicular NHL. About 30% of cases mutate into another, more agressive form of NHL. My question was, if we're only doing blood and physical exams, how will we know it has transformed? We need to actually see the cellular structure of the lymph nodes, don't we? The article said that knowing when/if that happened was very important, so treatment could be determined as soon as possible.

Dr. R said, basically, if a scan or a physical exam shows a sudden large swelling in one or more nodes, it's a sign of a possible transformation, and that would need to be confirmed with other tests.

I think he was impressed. He suggested an online search engine for medical articles that I might want to check out. Isabel thinks I was trying to show him up (and she said the self-satisfied grin on my face confirmed that), but really, I figured if he had read it, he'd know what I was talking about. It wasn't a "gotcha" thing.

(But, truth be told, I think he knows now who he's dealing with....)

*****************************

Something to make a lot of you feel old:
I heard this morning that this year is the 25th anniversary of Michael Jackson's Thriller.
Is this still the greatest video ever, or what?

9 comments:

mike said...

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that things haven't progressed, I think. Knowing that this isn't going to get better on it's own, I'll confess that it feels a bit strange to be hpoing that your situation actually worsens, so they can try to make it better.

Kind of like the Bruins this season. They're toying with us again. Hanging on for that last spot in the playoff race, knowing that they'll only get beat up in the forst round of the playoffs. Wish they'd just give it up now, and hope for some good draft picks.

Like I said, it's a weird feeling, like winning $265 on 2 $5 bets on a slot machine. Ha! - I beat you to it. I knew you'd probably spill the beans in the next blog. Too bad I had to spend half my winnings buying you that 2lb burger and onion rings.

See ya

Mike

mike said...

Thriller?

wow, you were young back then.

I'd take any ZZ Top video over MJ any day.

Although, I can't say your choise totally surprised me. As I recall, you were a big Prince fan too.

christine said...

Great news Bob, we are all so happy, thankGod, and Mike, "whats the matter with Michael Jackson", never had one of those red jackets though,,,i think too fat to fit into:),,xxoo

Christine

Lymphomaniac said...

Mike,
I wasn't going to say a word. I was sworn to secrecy, having taken an oath on a stack of onion rings. You know I can be bought with a blue cheese burger...and a single spangled white Michael Jackson glove. (Just beat it.)

nicole said...

hahahaha you guys are so so sick....i mean uncle bob i didnt think you would go that low as to swear something over a stack of onion rings...

anyways, i'm glad everything went well today, loving the jokes.

also, if you're still collecting your hospital braclets, you can have mine, i just saw it yesterday and i thought of you, maybe start a mceachern family collection.

see you soon, love you
nicole

cocovertigogo said...

Very good news! And I'm proud of you for showing the doctor how smart you are. But you're not a nerd. Nerds don't get women like Isabel.

Lymphomaniac said...

Coco,
Nerds do indeed get women like Isabel. Ask her about the guy she was seeing before she met me. An engineer/Def Leppard fan. My being into Prince was actually a step up for her.
Bob

mike said...

" My being into Prince was actually a step up for her."

you've left me speechless, again, for the second time in two months.

)-

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the results of your doctor visit but are the doctors sure you have NHL? Those B symptoms sound a little like menopause. Maybe you have early onset of menopause. Why don't you ask the doctor the next time you see him so you can impress him some more. Love you, Mary S-B