Thursday, February 28, 2008

I've Been Reading a Blog

Feeling good. Still no icon to tell you so.
Still running, too -- just not talking about it as much. I figured I should let you know, just in case you were worried I was losing energy or something.

**********************

I try to spend some time searching for other NHL patients' and survivors' stories online. I find all of that way more helpful than the more clinical stuff I get from some lymphoma sites. It's nice to read others' words about what they went through and how they are dealing with it, and I'm getting good at spotting any Negative Nellies before I read something that might depress me.

Over the last week or so, I've been reading a blog by a guy named Bald Mike. It's kind of amazing, the parallels in our lives: he's 40 years old (39 when he got his diagnosis), a professor (of public health, from what I can tell, at an unnamed school in Philadelphia), has a cute dog (Otis -- his blog goes on for over a year, so I've been reading a little at a time, starting at the beginning, and last night I read a post written by his dog. Ha!). He doesn't talk much about his specific type of NHL, but it seems like it's not follicular, maybe something more aggressive. He was on watch and wait for a full year before treatment. He's now finished with chemo, on Rituxin twice a year, and dancing with Ned (No Evidence of Disease). Good for him. I like those happy stories.

A couple of other parallels: he's a runner. After his chemo, he had a party for his friends that included his own 5k run and walk. (About 9 of them actually ran. I think he came in last. I assume my friends would let me win.....maybe....)

He also sees the value of humor in fighting cancer. In fact, his father had kidney cancer several years ago, and he wrote a piece that was accepted for National Public Radio's Morning Edition program, about how he and his father used humor to get through his father's initial diagnosis. NPR thought better of it, though, and withdrew the offer to have him read it on the air. So I can relate. I bet he'd love the Irish Guy With Cancer Joke.

It's amazing how this whole process works: feeling very alone at times, and then realizing that there are so many others in the same boat. When I first posted to the online support group, I got a bunch of responses from people who said the same thing. One man's standard greeting to everyone new to the group is "You are not alone!" and most begin their welcome messages to new people with "Glad you found us, sorry you had to."

And of course, I appreciate all of your support, too. It's nice to know that you're reading. As always, feel free to comment, even if it's just to say hello and wish me continued good news.

***************************

Now that I've mentioned Morning Edition, it's getting me thinking about David Sedaris, a very funny writer who first got noticed by reading his essays on the show. Isabel and I saw him a couple of years ago, reading from his new book. And in December, we saw a production of SantaLand Diaries, a play based on his experiences working as an Elf at Macy's in New York one Christmas. So here's a link to an essay of his called April in Paris, about his experiences living in Paris. (I'd like to SatanLand Diaries, but some of it might offend. Search NPR.org on your own if you want to hear it.) The link needs Real Player, in case you have to download it. It has some funny stuff. I recommend reading his books, too.

**************************

Busy weekend coming up. I may post something tomorrow, but then probably not until Sunday night or Monday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing:

Little Red Riding Hood is skipping thru the forest
road when she sees the big bad wolf crouched down behind a log.
"My, what big eyes you have Mr. Wolf."


The wolf jumps up and runs away.
Further down the road Little Red Riding Hood sees
the wolf again and this time he is crouched behind a bush.
"My, what big ears you have Mr. Wolf."


Again the wolf jumps up and runs away.
About 1/4 mile down the road Little Red Riding Hood
sees the wolf again and this time he is crouched down behind
a rock. "My what big teeth you have Mr. Wolf."


With that the wolf jumps up and screams, "Will you
knock it off, I'm trying to poop!"



Tom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stopped talking about running because you were depressing me. Here's cancer boy running every day and I'm sitting on my rear eating Girl Scout Cookies. It almost makes me want to do something physically active.

Love, Mary S-B

Lymphomaniac said...

Tom,
The story would be funnier if the Wolf had cancer.
Bob

Anonymous said...

hi all,
also apropos of nothing, here's a funny rebellious teenager in australia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3dHgIrvIE

much love
julia

ps: i am thinking about maybe skipping around the country to visit relatives at some point in the next year, what months are best for you all?

christine said...

Just read a little of "Bald Mike's" blog, you 2 of a lot of simlarities, did you think??? Didn't like the comment about the Red Sox, but we'll forgive :), just wanted to say hello, have a great weekend with your parents and tell everyone i said "hello"

xxooChristine