Tuesday, November 8, 2022

ASH Preview

My goodness -- the ASH annual meeting is happening in just over a month.

If you're new around here, ASH is the American Society of Hematology, and every December, they have a big meeting where blood cancer researchers present their work. It's one of the two big cancer meetings that I follow every year -- ASCO in June (or so), and ASH in December.

Last week, ASH abstracts were published online. It's right about the time they are usually published, but they snuck up on me anyway. There are 282 abstracts for Follicular Lymphoma. I'll do my best to go through them and write about the ones that seem most interesting, impactful, or just fun (every now and then, someone will do research that says something like whisky is good for you).

I was reminded about ASH because I got two alerts today about ASH. The first one is from BioPharmaDive, called "Bispecific cancer drugs and gene therapy advances: What to watch at next month’s ASH meeting." The title tells you the focus of the article. Bispecifics are big this year for blood cancers. The article mentions a few studies in lymphoma for new bispecifics. Right now, they will all try to improve on Mosunetuzumab.

The other ASH preview was called, interestingly enough, "Ash 2022 preview – Affimed and Aptose score" from Evaluate. It focuses on two lymphoma treatments -- one a new version of CAR-T, and the other an NK Inhibitor. I'll read more about them later.

The treatments in the articles aren't necessarily aimed at Follicular Lymphoma, but they do inspire me to start reading some more (next week, probably, after my job eases up just a bit this weekend).

I enjoy ASH for the reason I enjoy ASCO -- even if very few of the treatments being discussed will actually make it to pharmacy or the doctor's office, they remind me that there is lots of great research out there, and lots of smart people working to improve our lives. 

More soon (I hope).

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Wow, 282 abstracts for Follicular Lymphoma! Gosh, I really appreciate you Bob and your dedication to reviewing these articles for us. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the information out there (282 abstracts is one) but your diligence and devotion to providing us with the newest information on FL is sooooo appreciated. I hope you realize what a gift you have been to all of us. During this season of thankfulness, I am thankful for you and what you do for us. Hugs <3 Shelly