Saturday, November 7, 2020

The Future of Cancer Funding

I'm hesitating to write this, because I know it might be (probably will be) controversial, but it's an issue that's been much on my mind over the last few weeks, especially because of my activities from last week (I'll write more about that in a few days). As I revise this to get it ready to post, the U.S. Presidential election has been called. Personally, I don't think anything is truly official for another couple of months, with the Presidential inauguration. 

But what's been on my mind has been the future of funding for cancer research.

Cure magazine released an article a few hours ago called "What the Future of Cancer Care May Hold Under President-Elect Joe Biden." It's a quick and easy read, and worth the couple of minutes. I think they do a good job of staying balanced in their assessment -- something I would like to do, too.

The current administration has a mixed record when it comes to cancer care. As the Cure article points out, they have been working to overturn the Affordable Care Act, and haven't been very clear about what exactly they would do to replace it. The ACA has resulted in some gains for cancer patients, providing opportunities for many cancer patients to get health insurance coverage, and paying for diagnostic tests that might have caught some cancers early and saved some lives. Without a specific plan being proposed, it's possible that some of those gains may go away (the U.S. Supreme Court is considering a lawsuit that would wipe out the ACA). 

But, to be fair, the current administration has also seen some gains in cancer funding. The National Cancer Institute, for example, saw its overall budget rise last year to $6.44 billion, an increase of $297 million. There has also been some modest attempt to lower drug prices; any lowering is likely to help cancer patients.

Will a new administration make cancer funding a priority? That would be great. And since Biden, as Vice President, championed what was known as the "Cancer Moonshot," maybe there's a chance that will happen. You can read more about the Cancer Moonshot here. It's an attempt to coordinate resources in the U.S. government to fund cancer research and prevention. I think it's done its job well, getting money to where it is needed. Though I also think expectations were much too high from the start, and people expected immediate results. Because of his family situation, the Moonshot was an especially important initiative for Biden. 

But the extra money from the Cancer Moonshot is gone in 2023 (and its budget gets smaller every year). It would take a new law to renew it, or to replace it with something better. And, of course, there is the Covid issue to contend with -- money will need to go there, and it's going to come from somewhere. I like to think that Biden's personal investment in cancer research and care will mean something, but there's only so much a president can do.

I don't want this to be a referendum about individuals, and I hope any comments don't turn it into one. We all have our beliefs, and our reasons for believing, and I do my best to respect what others believe. But that doesn't mean I want to hear it, at least when it comes to politics. 

Because as different as we are, we are all (unfortunately) united by three little words: "You have cancer." And we should all agree, to some extent, that there needs to be access to healthcare for cancer patients, access to measures that help prevent it and diagnose it, and better funding for treatments and possible cures. 

And, of course, United States policy and practice is not the only thing that matters in the world of cancer. Off the top of my head, I can think quickly of two other treatments that originate outside my country -- Bendamustine was developed in East Germany, when that country existed, and Betalutin, currently under Fast Track review from the FDA, was developed in Norway. (There are others, I know, developed outside the U.S., but those are the two I can think of right now.) The point is, though, that the U.S. government spends a large amount of money supporting cancer research that ultimately helps people all over the world. What happens next really matters. 

And I am hopeful that, whatever happens between now and January, and then beyond that, cancer research will continue to be led by smart people who are passionate about what they do. As I said, more in a few days about why I believe this. 

Stay hopeful. 

And stay positive. (Especially if you plan to comment.)



No comments: