Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving in the U.S. It's a day we set aside to be thankful for lots of things. I do my best to reflect on what I'm thankful for every year, because I know it's easy to take things for granted.

Of course, it's a tough year for a lot of people to feel thankful, as Covid-19 has had such a large effect on everything we've done for much of the year. Thanksgiving is no different. This is the first Thanksgiving since my wife Isabel and I were married that we won't be with extended family. We almost always travel to see one of our families; very occasionally, family travels to see us. But this year, it will just be us and our three kids. I'm thankful to have all of them here with me. 

We'll have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, scaled down for the five of us, and for the first time, the kids will really play a part in doing the cooking. My wife and I spent about six months as "empty nesters," with the kids all away at school or on their own. I was thankful for that. We've sent another eight months with a full house. And we'll probably end up with an empty nest again in a couple on months, as the kids all try to get some normalcy back in their lives. We'll be thankful for that, too. If nothing else, cancer teaches us how to appreciate whatever it is we have in front of us. 

Isabel and I went for a walk this morning, as we have been doing every morning since the spring. It was very rainy, but we did our full walk anyway. It was very quiet, too. No one else out, probably sleeping in a little because of the holiday, and the rain. We dodges puddles. Usually we dodge neighbors. Our neighborhood is very walkable, and we usually encounter a dozen or more people as we do our walks. We always say good morning, and there's always a little contest where we try to get out of one another's way, crossing the street or taking a few steps up someone's walkway, making sure we stay six feet from one another. I live in a neighborhood where people take the pandemic seriously, and treat one another with respect and kindness.  I am very thankful for that, too. Sometimes it seems like that's a rare thing.

And on our walk, we talked about family, and how much we want to see people we love, and how hopeful, we are for a vaccine (or two, or more) that will allow that to happen soon. I am extraordinarily thankful for science, not just for what it has given us as cancer patients, but also for the hope it has given us in the pandemic. The vaccines that are being developed will be done fast, much faster than ever before. That comes with concerns, making sure it's not being rushed. But I trust the science community to look at the results carefully. I truly believe that the developers will make a lot of money, but that they also understand that if they mess this up, it will hurt them forever. Everyone involved wants this to succeed. I'm thankful for that, too.

And, as I am every year, I'm thankful for all of you. You give me a reason to keep writing and to keep learning and sharing. At the risk of leaving someone out, I'm going to name a few names. To William for his thoughtful comments, and for sharing his experience. For Rodrigo (and his mom), for reminding me that I things that help people far away. For Save Pig, who likes what I tweet, and shares with me a deep desire for travel and hugs. For Popplepot, who I would love to share a whiskey with some day. For Ben, who teaches others about CAR-T. For Jacqueline, from the breadbasket of the world, whose neighbors probably grew something on my table. For Sharon, who made my day on her own Thanksgiving.

There are more of you, so many more, and I wish I could name you all. But know that I'm thinking of you, and thankful for you, too, even if you never comment, never leave your name, never let me know that you are there. I do know you are there. (Google counts you, even if they never tell me your name.)

I hope you all can take a few minutes today to think about good things in your life that you are thankful for and happy about, even if it's not your "official" day to do so. We have lots to be hopeful about.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankful for what you do for all of us!

Graça said...

I am Graça
Rodrigo 's mother
Thank you for help us

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob

Thanks for all you do for us the whole year through.

William

Graça said...

Bob

My name is Graça
I am Rodrigo s mother
Thank You
BRASIL


Unknown said...

Hi from the Breadbasket of the World! (Central California in case you're not familiar with the term) I am especially thankful for you Bob. You really do make our journey a pleasant one. My birthday was yesterday too, I have lived 71 years and am grateful for every day. I truly love this Holiday because there is no other like it in the world (to my knowledge). A day simply to be thankful for what we have...what a beautiful concept.
You take care and enjoy the time with your family.
God bless!
Jacquline

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bob.
Rodrigo
BRAZIL

Paula said...

So thankful for you everyday and I truly feel I would be lost without you and this blog so THANK YOU

Marcela Canary Islands said...

MUCHÍSIMAS GRACIAS A TI BOB POR TANTO QUE NOS HAS OFRECIDO EN ESTOS AÑOS DE BÚSQUEDA DE INFORMACIÓN SOBRE LA ENFERMEDAD,LOS NUEVOS AVANCES QUE HAY EN LA INVESTIGACIÓN, LOS NUEVOS TRATAMIENTOS Y A LA VEZ HACERLO DE FORMA AMENA Y ENTRETENIDA.PONER SIEMPRE UN POCO DE HUMOR JUSTO CUANDO SE NECESITA Y TRANSMITIR BUEN ÁNIMO, ESO ES SIEMPRE NECESARIO.
PROFUNDAMENTE AGRADECIDA. UN ABRAZO PARA USTED Y SU FAMILIA. MANTEGASE SIEMPRE CON BUENA SALUD

MARCELA CANARY ISLANDS

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob
Suzana
Croatia