Friday, July 10, 2020

When Trials Don't Work Out

I've been thinking a lot about a comment that an anonymous reader made on my last post. The post looked at some history of Follicular Lymphoma, and the comment pointed out that Rituxan by itself had decent results (and I am one of those positive results, as you probably know). But over time, Rituxan was found to be a superstar because it was used in combination with other treatments, and made those treatments better.

So the comment provided a reminder that I very much appreciate: a single-agent treatment that does just OK by itself may have a great life afterwards. Combinations of treatments are often much more effective, and most newer treatments that are working their way up the clinical trial ladder are being tested in a bunch of different combinations to figure out the best way to use them.

Lenalidomide is a good example. It does OK for FL by itself, but combined with Rituxan to create R-Squared, and its results are about as good as chemo + Rituxan.

But there are lots of combinations that are tried that we never hear about. They might make it to a phase 2 trial, and then the results show that it's not as effective as current treatments, or maybe the side effects are too much (which can be a danger with combinations, since two or three treatments could potentially mean two or three times the side effects, though that doesn't always happen).

And there's really no incentive for the people running a trial to publicize the results of a failed trial. They don't need the negative publicity, after all. And the logic is that a failed trial isn't really going to help patients, so there's no point in making the results known.

But is that really the case? There might be something to be learned from failed trials. As a patient, I want to know what kinds of side effects, for example, are happening with some combinations. I like the Big Picture. I've kind of made a career out of cleaning up messes -- my own and other people's -- so I appreciate it when people are honest about failures.

And that's why I liked this article published about a month ago in Clinical Cancer Research: "A 3-Arm Randomized Phase II Study of Bendamustine/Rituximab with Bortezomib Induction or Lenalidomide Continuation in Untreated Follicular Lymphoma: ECOG-ACRIN E2408."

The study looked at Follicular Lymphoma patients who were getting their first treatment (Bendamustine + Rituxan), and then put into three groups: one received Rituxan Maintenance, the second got Bortezomib (Velcade) and then Rituximab Maintenance, and  the third got Lenalidomide and then Rituxan Maintenance.

Results were just OK. The gal was to improve on BR + Maintenance, and adding either Velcade or Lenalidomide didn't significantly improve effectiveness, or reduce side effects (not surprising, when a new treatment is added). I have only seen the abstract, so I can't comment on details of the safety, but the closing of the abstract is pretty clear: "Conclusions: Altogether, neither bortezomib added to BR induction nor lenalidomide added to rituximab maintenance immediately post-BR induction are recommended in untreated FL."

As I said, I appreciate researchers being willing to talk about failure. They can certainly learn a lot, and perhaps we as patients can learn something, too.  One of the questions we will all have to ask at some point is how much we are willing to balance effectiveness and safety. Are we willing to get more months or years between treatments if it means a loss of Quality of Life? How much? In what ways?

To me, even reading about failures brings up those questions, and helps prepare me for the choices I'll need to make some day, even if they won't involve these particular combinations. That's a good thing.


2 comments:

KarynHof said...

Hi Bob, I hear you, but in the healthcare industry and beyond it is a challenge to get folks to discuss failure. I remember when I worked for the insurance industry many years ago we had a “failure wall” with quotes from famous individuals, now quite successful (Oprah, etc.). This was to encourage us to discuss our failures so we may learn from them. I wholeheartedly agree in theory but in practice it is much more difficult. I think it falls to leadership and health care providers/researchers to lead by example and weave failure discussions into the fabric of work culture.

On another note, I recently finished my second treatment for Non-Hodgkins follicular lymphoma with Obinatuzimab and Lenalidomide. I was hospitalized with ischemic colitis due to the Lenalidomide, a previously undocumented side effect. I was happy to find your blog after a brief Google search. A question for you - where does a patient find 40-somethings who have this diagnosis for connection and sharing? I’m 42 and have yet to find anyone with my experience. Any advice you could offer would be helpful. In the meantime, thank you for your contribution, and I look forward to following your blog.

Best,
Karyn

Lymphomaniac said...

Hi Karyn.
Thanks for writing. I agree -- the practice is much more difficult. Not sure where you're from, but certainly in the U.S., we place a lot of emphasis on winning and "being number 1," and there's a difference between being successful and then talking about all of your failures from the past, and talking about failures while you're in the middle of them, before success comes. We could use more "in progress" failure stories. (And I am fully aware of the irony of asking people to downplay the "being number 1" attitude while I am also asking people to vote for me in a contest to choose the best blog by a health advocate. As you say, easy in theory, harder in practice....

And thanks for sharing the experience with Obinatuzimab and Lenalidomide. I'm sure there's none of that feeling of "being number one" when you are the first with a side effect from treatment, and I'm sorry it affected you enough to be hospitalized. It sounds like you're staying with it, though, so there must be some good things happening too? I hope so. Good luck with the remaining treatments.

As for finding others to talk to, I can say that I had the same problem, diagnosed at 40. We're an unusual bunch for FL, since most folks are diagnosed in their 60's. And 40 is too old to be part of most "Young Adult" cancer groups. I do know there are a few readers who were diagnosed at that young age, and they might chime in (please do, everyone). You could try some online groups. I have been in one for 12 years (https://forums.lymphoma.com/forums/non-hodgkins-peer-support-and-news.7/). It's for all NHLs, not just Follicular, but they're a good group. If you're on Facebook, there's a good group there. It's large (almost 7000 members from around the world). There are sure to be some folks who are in their 40s. Expect a range of experiences and beliefs, some good, some less so.

And, of course, as someone diagnosed at an unusually early age, I'm happy to connect one-on-one as well. I always enjoy sharing with readers that way. You can email me at BobTalisker@gmail.com

Good luck with the treatments. Keep us updated.
Bob