Monday, August 27, 2018

When Someone Says the Wrong Thing

My latest on Blood-Cancer.com: "When Someone Says the Wrong Thing."

I do like to read other cancer patients' stories. I'm always amazed at how much other people -- some with completely different kinds of cancer -- have had the same experience as me.

Often a bad experience.

I especially like the "Things You Shouldn't Say To a Cancer Patient" stories. We've all had them, I'm sure.

In this Blood-Cancer.com piece, I share my own experience, and give my suggestion for dealing with it. As you all know, I tend to try to look at the positive side of things. That includes the sometimes hurtful stuff that people have said to me over the years. (A little preview -- It's usually pointing out some way that I'm living my life wrong.)

A few days ago, I came across a video that someone posted on Facebook. It's a song by a British group called Fascinating Aida. This is the first I've heard of them -- maybe some British folks are more familiar with this very funny trio?

Anyway, one of the group's members is a cancer survivor, and wrote a song about her experience called "Big C," which they perform in the video. It starts a little slow, but soon they sing about some of the advice she's been given. It's very familiar to me. Maybe also to you. (Also, there's a bad word at the end of the song, so be warned.)

Read my piece and watch the video. (I suggest you do it in that order.)

Hope you like them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are really trying their best. Just like being happy and sad, you will find yourself on both sides of the equation many times over your lifetime, either saying or hearing the wrong thing. Let's give each other a pass."

-David Rakoff

Lymphomaniac said...

Agreed.