Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Scan Today

Had my CT scan this morning. Never a fun experience, but it wasn't too bad.


As usual, I had to drink the barium milkshake beforehand, which does a number on my stomach. It's a full quart of thick, white sort-of sweet liquid -- five good plastic cups worth. The first few cups are tolerable, and then it's a struggle. They usually give me an hour or so to get it down, and then the scan itself is only about 5 minutes long.


Today, as I was in the waiting area, choking down my barium, a man came in for a scan. He was tall and muscular, and wearing a fire department shirt. He poured himself a full cup of the barium and sucked it down in one big swig. I usually take anywhere from a sip to a gulp, wait 30-60 seconds, and take another, slowly working my way through it all in about 10 minutes. But this guy did a full cup. I was impressed. But then I noticed that it took him a good five minutes to work up the nerve to take the second cup. And then another five minutes. Seemed like a tough guy, but he was just a poser. He was halfway done when I got called in by the CT tech. Slow and steady, baby -- that's how you do it.


I see Dr. R on Friday for the results of the scan (and thus the results for how well the Rituxan worked). There are several possibilities for what we might find out:


The best news, of course, will be that it was CR -- a Complete Response, with no evidence of cancer, no nodes even a little swollen.


Second best will be a PR -- a Partial Response. Maybe a little swelling someplace.


Not so good would be finding out that the Rituxan didn't work at all. Pretty remote chance, but it's always a chance.


My guess for the results? It will be a PR. I just don't think it's Complete -- the thigh is still a little bit swollen (though way better than it was two months ago), and I can maybe feel the nodes popping up just a little (though it could be something else, like scar tissue). Then there are those deep internal nodes that had Dr. R worried -- no way to know how those have responded to the Rituxan until we see scan results, so we'll find all that out on Friday.


Even if it is a PR, that's OK, for a couple of reasons.


First, Rituxan takes time to work. Some people in the support group thought I should demand more time before we had a CT scan, since Rituxan can take months before it fully does its job. But I'm anxious to see how things are going. So even a PR could turn into a CR down the road a little bit.


Second, even if it is a CR, I have to be realistic about it. Rituxan just isn't going to be a cure. It will come back. It would great to get a couple of years of remission out of it, but really, I'll just be waiting for it to come back anyway.

I'm not upset about that -- just realistic. Miracles do happen, and I'm praying for one. But I'm preparing for something a little bit less.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little brother:

That's the second miracle I'll be praying for in last 72 hours. Of course the first one was for a US win on Sunday night in the gold medal round. I've never been a big Sidney Crosby fan, and now I have even more reason to despise him.

The only thing that could be worse about Crosby would have been if he played at BU. The hockey program there is quickly becoming reminiscent of the 80's hoop teams at Georgetown. Anyone can buy a dynasty with the right alumni support. I feel the ghost of Mike Eruzione quickly fading from hockey lore. Jim Craig was a flash in the pan, and would have been in tears if he had to play the way Ryan Miller did to get the US into the gold medal game.

I never knew you had a thing for firefighters. You really should come up for the Pan Mass Challenge this year. We're finishing in Provincetown this year. You'll have a field day. :)

Good luck with the results, and keep us posted.

Mike

Four peas in a pod said...

Hi Bob,

I can't wait to hear the news! PR is excellent, that is what I had. I am still feeling good and no growth that I can detect. I am wishing all the best for you!

Lori

PS I don't know if this says more about me or you, but:

I can chug ALL that stuff in less than 30 seconds. :-)

Lymphomaniac said...

Lori,
Sorry, but I don't believe that anyone who needs a bed in a room to herself just to get Rituxan can chug a quart of that stuff in 30 seconds. ;-)

Four peas in a pod said...

Bob, it may only be 15 seconds, actually!

lol!