Friday, September 8, 2023

Blood Cancer Awareness Month

I know I'm a week late, but I want to acknowledge that this is Blood Cancer Awareness Month.

I say the same thing every year, but I'll say it again -- I don't really need to be made aware of my cancer, thanks very much.

But of course, awareness campaigns aren't about patients as much as about everyone else, and making others aware of a disease. I certainly encourage you to do just that.

How to do that? Well, there are some really easy things to do, like posting on your Facebook page or changing your profile picture to something appropriate, like a picture of an awareness ribbon. (speaking of awareness ribbons, Blood-cancer.com was kind enough to recently re-post a piece I wrote for them 5 years ago, "My Cancer Rainbow.")

Or maybe you'd rather not be so public about your diagnosis. I understand -- all deal with our disease in the way that makes most sense. But if you've shared it with just a small circle of people, then remind them that it's important to stay healthy, eat well, get some exercise, do some self-checks for cancer, and go to the doctor regularly. That's plenty of awareness.

And if you're looking for some other ideas, there are plenty more out there.

The Lymphoma Research Foundation is in the middle of their annual Light It Red campaign.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is highlighting their personalized support for patients.

The World Lymphoma Coalition, a group made up of Lymphoma organizations around the world, celebrates World Lymphoma Day on September 15. Their theme this year is "We Can't Wait -- To Focus On Our Feelings." They want to highlight some of the psychological and emotional issues that come with a diagnosis. I am in full support of that kind of awareness.

One more thing -- Blood-Cancer.com (I mentioned above that I write for them) is having a give away to celebrate the month. Sign up using your email address (and getting on their email list), and you could win a Kindle Fire HD 10 with Alexa (64GB). Click here for more details, so you know what you're getting into. (Only open to United States residents.)

At the very least, celebrate your awareness by being good to yourself. Read a good book. Take a nap. Go get some ice cream. Celebrate yourself -- you're doing a great job.


No comments: