Monday, March 29, 2021

Thanks for Reading

 Just a quick comment about something that's been on my mind for the last few days.

A little more than a week ago, I posted the news that my wife and I have a new puppy. I appreciate all of those who said she was really cute. (I agree -- she is.)

As I was looking at the comments and trying to find time to respond while my dog was taking a nap, I couldn't help but notice that the commenters were from California and Virginia, on both sides of the U.S., plus Ireland and Brazil. And while that conversation was going on, I was having email exchanges with readers from Italy and Canada.

I really love how far and wide the blog has traveled. It was never really intended to be something like that. I started it, as some of you know, as a way to let family and friends know what was happening with my diagnosis and (what I assumed would be upcoming) treatment. At some point, I got a comment from someone from Florida (about 1200 miles away). A few months later, another comments from a reader in Scotland. And since then, more readers from all over the world.

I can't tell you how happy that makes me. 

One of the great things about being a cancer advocate is hearing from people that I've said or done something that has helped them. To know that I've helped so many people, from so many parts of the world, is really amazing. 

And that says something about how connected we are. Not just as cancer patients, or Follicular Lymphoma patients and survivors and caregivers, but just as people. We all have some of the same needs. To find information that we didn't have before. To connect with others who have shared the same experiences. To know someone else is out there. 

I'm happy to be the person who can give the information and be the one whose experiences are being shared. 

But you all should know that you do the same thing for me. 

I've always said that I'd write the blog even if I didn't know anyone was reading it. It does me good to read and write and stay informed, and to work through some things that are on my mind.

But it's even better to hear back from people and know that someone is out there.

So thank you again for reading. All of you, wherever you are. 

And as always, feel free to comment, or to email me (address is in the profile). I love to hear your stories, and I'm happy to help whenever I can.

Stay well.

Bob


8 comments:

Graça said...

Olá Bob
Seja linfoma, seja ninho vazio,seja Katara,; você faz parte da constelação emocional de nossas vidas
Obrigada por isso
Fique bem


Graça
Mãe do Rodrigo


Brasília DF
Brazil

Anonymous said...

Hello Bob,

I figured I should start a roll call. My wife was diagnosed at the end of 2014. I have been a faithful reader of your blog since the early days. I often come to this blog for hope, and I enjoy reading about those future arrows in our quiver. Thanks for all your hard work and effort. I know we all appreciate the extra knowledge and hope for the future.

Coming from the Land of Enchantment, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Kevin, Gloria, and family

Jacqueline said...

Hi Bob, Love this article. It is amazing how diverse this blog is. You (and the other readers) have been a bright light for me ever since I found you. Thank you for all you do.
God Bless,
Jacqueline

Unknown said...

Hi Bob, I'm waving to you from near Vancouver, BC Canada. I read your blogs and am always so impressed with how much research and information you provide. 60 yr old female with indolent follicular lymphoma, here. Found a lump in my eyelid in 2017-had 12 blasts of radiation with the hope that it wouldn't come back. But, found a lump in my upper thigh (inguinal node) last July and after a bazillion tests, scans, blood work, biopsies (including the barbaric Bone marrow-yikes!) was found to be incurable and told to "watch and wait". The golf ball size lump has reduced to where I don't really feel it anymore, but I notice that my thigh seems sore and tight. Did you experience this? I won't see my oncologist until beginning of next month.I've been kind of terrified of going near any more medical/health clinics or hospitals since there seems to be a new outbreak every other day. I will finally get my covid vaccination next week. Hopefully that will help me feel a bit more...normal? HA! I don't talk about this much, so thanks for letting me spill it out. It's really nice to know you are out there advocating, even if it's in another country. Thank you!
Keep up the great work. You really are appreciated, even by this usual lurker :)
Barbara Hultberg

Unknown said...

Hello Bob,

I am very grateful to him for his blog, and I think he makes a fairly fair analysis, his reflections are intelligent and it is something that is appreciated. I find it very nice to think "hey! I'm going to read Bob", "let's see if he tells us something."
I believe in those social connections and in the good that he does us, you have helped me a lot.


Simply thanks!

P.S. The puppy is beautiful, it is such a symbiotic relationship that we have with them.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, Bob!
Rodrigo
Brazil

Paula said...

Hi Bob, I honestly can't write down in words how much your blog means to me. One other comment mentions HOPE, yes it's a place I come to for hope. It's also a place that keeps me focused in all the crazy emotions we can find ourselves in. You have a big place in my heart for all you do. Thank you. Paula Dublin, Ireland.

Lymphomaniac said...

Thank you, all. It really delights me to hear from so many of you. Old friends and new friends, you're all always welcome. (Even the lurkers, Barbara and Kevin!) You all always seem to give me a nice shot of inspiration when I need it.
Stay well, everyone.