Friday, March 27, 2020

COVID-19: Managing Anxiety and Fear

I hope everyone is doing well during this difficult time.

My family and I are doing OK.  We're keeping busy, which is good. My wife and I are able to work from home, which is a blessing. My two younger kids, both college students, are taking all of their classes online. They have plenty of work to do -- also a blessing. My oldest, who finished college a few months ago, has moved back in with us. He's been working a job that cannot be done at home. I'm glad they've given him and his colleagues the time to stay at home (with a little bit of pay), but he's the least busy of us. He is taking a course online, which is good, and he has created a Dungeons and Dragons campaign for the family, so as Dungeon Master, he has a lot of work to do.

(If you're not a D & D fan, and you don't care what it is, that's fine. If you're curious, you can find out the basics here. If you are a fan, know that I am a Dragonborn Rogue, and not a good one, since I rolled a natural 1 the first time I tried to use my Thieve's Tools and almost got us all killed by palace guards. Also, my best friend is a Gnome Barbarian, and a really bad influence.)

The point is, we're managing to stay home and stay safe.

Which isn't to say my mental and emotional health is completely good.

My wife and I have been trying to take a walk every day, which is good for us, physically. We live in a neighborhood of friendly and kind people who say hello as they are crossing the street so we can all keep a safe distance from one another.

On one of our walks, I told my wife that, in some ways, being a Follicular lymphoma patient has been pretty good preparation for all of this. I've always been very careful about staying away from sick people, washing my hands frequently, and generally trying to stay healthy.

I've also been preparing myself mentally for this. I have long followed a "3 Day Rule." All the cancer patients and survivors I know get that awful feeling when we find a new bump or unexplained pain. I've learned to give it 3 days. If I can't come up with an explanation for it, or it doesn't get better in 3 days, then I can call the doctor. It gives me a little time to stay calm. I rarely have to call the doctor.

But the last two weeks have been tough. I know the COVID-19 symptoms. I know what to look for. But it seems like every day, I've been feeling something. A headache. A slight cough. A scratchy throat. And I keep saying to myself, "Dammit. Here we go. It's starting." And then a half hour later, the headache is gone. Or I take a big drink of water, and the sore throat disappears.

It happens every day. I don't even have to wait 3 days -- the "symptoms" go pretty quickly. And I do have a reasonable explanation, as I look out the window and see trees budding and spring allergies kicking up.

But the stress is still awful. 

As you know, I try to pay attention to mental and emotional health. It's a really important part of our overall health as Follicular Lymphoma patients. It's a disease (as you know) where physical symptoms are sometimes easier to deal with than emotional symptoms.

So if you're feeling the kind of stress and anxiety that I'm feeling, maybe one of these resources will help. Some of the advice is repeated, but maybe that means it's good advice worth listening to.

 The Yale School of Medicine (with which I have a relationship) offers some general advice about Anxiety and COVID-19.

Blood-Cancer.com (a website that I write for) has some self-care tips.

The American Psychiatric Association's Center for Workplace Mental Health has a guide to maintaining well-being while working from home.

And finally, the National Alliance on Mental Illness has some coping strategies for dealing with COVID-19.


I think they are all useful, and if you are struggling with stress and anxiety, one or more of them may speak to you.

And if nothing else, know that there are plenty of us who are feeling the same way. I often take comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who has certain feelings.

Most of all, if you're feeling isolated, reach out. Online communities aren't always great (I'm spending a lot less time on Twitter these days, because there's a lot there that upsets me), but online communities can be a great source of interaction and connection, too, if you find the right ones.

Feel free to reach out to me. Tell me how you're feeling. Share some coping strategies. And any D & D tips would be greatly appreciated.

Take care of yourselves.


6 comments:

Marcela Canary Islands said...

HOLA BOB ME ALEGRA SABER QUE USTED Y SU FAMILIA ESTÁN BIEN. AQUÍ EN CANARIAS TAMBIÉN HA LLEGADO EL MALDITO VIRUS, YO DEBO SALIR A COMPRAR DOS VECES POR SEMANA EN UNA LARGA COLA DE SUPERMERCADO. HOY DELANTE DE MI UNA PERSONA ESTORNUDABA Y OTRA DETRAS TOSÍA Y OTRA HABLABA SIN PARAR. NO PUEDO EVITAR TENER MIEDO, SOBRE TODO POR MI MADRE QUE CUIDO Y TIENE 90 AÑOS, ESTÁ DELICADA Y PIENSO EN ELLA Y EN QUE PUEDO VENIR CONTAGIADA. MI MARIDO SALE A TRABAJAR Y MI HIJA ESTÁ AHORA CON SUS ESTUDIOS EN LA CASA. MI LINFOMA FOLICULAR TAMBIÉN ME HA ENSEÑADO A VER ESTO DE OTRA FORMA YA LLEVO OCHO AÑOS GRACIAS A DIOS EN WATCH AND WAIT Y NUNCA TUVE TRATAMIENTO, SIGO BIEN. AHORA PARECE QUE AL MUNDO ENTERO LE TOCA ASOMARSE A LA MISMA VENTANA QUE YO, LA DE LA INCERTIDUMBRE. DIOS NOS AYUDE A SALIR A SALVO A TODS DE TODO ESTO. UN ABRAZO Y MANTENGA LA MENTE FUERTE SIEMPRE. SIEMPRE LEO SU BLOG HA SIDO MI SALVACIÓN Y MI FUERZA. MIL GRACIAS SIEMPRE BOB.

Lymphomaniac said...

So nice to hear from you, Marcela! I'm happy to hear that you are still watching and waiting, and your Follicular Lymphoma seems to be doing well. And I'm sad to hear that you are worried about yourself and your mom. I certainly understand the worry. But you are right -- maybe now the world sees through the same window as you, and we will all be a little kinder and more understanding.
You stay strong, too.
Bob

icrazyhorse said...

Hello Bob

My wife (72) is hospitalized at NIH Bethesda, Maryland for 12 days during Cycle 1 of the ViPOR Phasse 2 clinical trial. She is doing ok so far - labs look ok and she is feeling better. Tentatively she will get released on April 8.

I just read where 28 NIH hospital staffers have the coronavirus - it closed down the hospital inpatient food preparation. Now the inpatients are getting 'box lunches' for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Last night she ate cold pizza - got indigestion. Everyone entering her room wears a mask - so does she.
William

Lymphomaniac said...

William, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. It sounds like a tough situation to be in during a trial. But it does sound like the treatment is doing its job. I'll be thinking about you both, and wishing you both good health as she continues through the trial.
Bob

Mylegacy said...

Bob - This is about us and COVID-19, I posted this in the Apr 1 thread above by error. Sorry for the repeat post.

Google: Lymphopenia and COVID-19

I've FL and 42 months ago when diagnosed my lymphocytes were 0.74 and my bone marrow was 95% "involved with lymphoma." Today my lymphocytes are 0.62 and God knows what my bone marrow is.

I've been solidly in chronic lymphopenia for 4+ years. I assume I'm not alone.

How serious is this? My Dermatologist says given my 0.62 level I'm "75% more likely to die form either SCC or melanoma if I get one of them." I'm the victim of being a ginger with a misspent youth frolicking all summer in the sun. Bad combination.

Doing the Google shows a serious connection between being in a state of lymphopenia and bad outcomes if you get COVID-19. Those of us who know their lymphocyte number might want to take extra care if you have lymphopenia.

Bob, (slightly off topic) have you any idea how common it is to not have your lymphocyte level recover almost four years after six months of R & B?

Lymphomaniac said...

Hi MyLegacy.
Thanks for the information about lymphopenia.
I've been trying to stay away from Google for a few days. I'm just assuming at this point that, given my history, I need to be extra careful and stay away from situations that could be dangerous. I'm 10+ years out from treatment, and my blood numbers have been pretty good in that time. Still, I assume I'm compromised in some way, and I am behaving like it. If anyone out there has low blood numbers, then they should know for sure that they need to act with extra care.
As for your question, I really don't know the answer. I imagine everyone's recovery is a little bit different, depending on your health and your experience with chemo. I'd say if you are concerned, talk to your doctor. They're always the best one to ask.
Stay safe everyone.
Bob