Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Empty Nest

My wife and I are now "empty nesters."

Our three kids are all moved out -- even if it's temporary.

My oldest is 22 now. He's been in and out of the house for a few years, sometimes living at home, sometimes living on his own, depending on circumstances. We love to have him home, but he's on his own right now.

My middle kid is 20. We dropped him off at college about 10 days ago. He's a few hours away, but happy, and doing well.

And my youngest is 18. We dropped her off at college a few days ago. She seems happy, too. That makes us happy.

When I was diagnosed, they were 10, 8, and 6. It seems so long ago. There were times, especially early on, when I wasn't sure I'd see all of them out on there own, in college, being all grown up.

I've received a couple of bits of communication in the last few days.

Yesterday, I got a comment on a piece that I had written for another site. It was from someone who had been diagnosed very recently, looking for some hope, not sure if she'd see her grandkids graduate from high school and college. That brought back some not-too-pleasant memories. I did my best to make her feel better. I hope it helped.

And a few days ago, I got an email from a reader, giving me an update. He's young, and his life was really just starting when he got his diagnosis. But he's doing great all around -- healthy, with a good job, and a supportive girlfriend. I love getting updates like that.

So, of course, hearing from people at a time like this, when my kids are starting their own lives, and when I'm here to see them, brings up a whole lot of mixed feelings and memories and hopes and needs. I'm healthy enough to still be working at a job that I really like. I'm healthy enough to do some traveling with my wife (and we're open to suggestions for where in the world we should go).

Our nest is a little emptier, and a little quieter, at least for a few months, until the kids come back home again.

But I'm happy. And happy to be here to enjoy it.


7 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Hey Bob, it is tough when we become "empty nesters". As they say, you raise your kids to "fly" off on their own, but when they do they take a bit of your heart with them. I'm writing to tell you of one of the most wonderful vacation spots on Earth....the Azores. Nine beautiful islands in the middle of the Atlantic about 900 miles off the coast of Portugal and a four hour flight from Boston. They are inexpensive and you won't find better food or friendlier people anywhere. You will relax, enjoy the beauty of the islands and have great food and wine at the same time. Give them a try, you won't regret it.

Jacqueline
DX March 2007 Stage 4 grade 3a fNHL ..... still here, healthy and loving life!

P.S. Love your Blog

Lymphomaniac said...

Thanks, Jacqueline, for the comment about the blog. And for understanding "The Nest." And the tip on travel. Azores sounds pretty awesome. Looked at some pictures, and it's gorgeous. We'll definitely do a little more research there.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Take care. Bob

Warrior woman said...

Hey Jacqueline! I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of treatment you’ve had

Jacqueline said...

Hello Warrior Woman,
I was treated with 6 rounds of CHOP-R and 2 years of Rituxan Maintenance. (one Rituxan infusion every three months)
I've been in CR or NED as they call it now ever since. I do have a few residual issues due to the CHOP-R (neuropathy in my right foot) and Rituxan (low Vitamin D and weak immune system which requires a monthly infusion of IVIG), but in my opinion it has been well worth it. I am a very healthy nearly 70 year old woman.

Barry said...

Empty nest, oh yes. Incredible how quickly time passes when we stay busy. I’m getting ready to turn 61, diagnosed @ 55. That initial shock, not knowing if I’d be here now or for how long....guess we still don’t know, do we? If I’ve learned anything about this disease, or just life in general, it is that is can be unpredictable and we must always plan for the future and don’t stop living our dreams.

Still watching and waiting, had 12 rounds of radiation in year 4, feeling better than ever. I think sometimes getting this disease will have actually extended my life. It’s created an awareness of healthful living and keeps me motivated maintain that lifestyle- crazy to think a potentially terminal illness can actually make one healthier!

A lot of projects at this time. Selling our home of twenty years, selling my business of nearly 30 years, moving into a newly built custom home we’ve been building for almost the past 3 years in a new state and new community. Empty nesters for sure!!!

I’ve been following your blog off and on for several years and want to thank you for your insights and perspectives- live the dream!

Anonymous said...

I also look forward to be a empty nestler. Thank you for sharing your posts Bob. I love your blog and helps a lot emotionally. I am still on maintenance regimen and that is due next march.

Lymphomaniac said...

Thank you, Barry. It sounds like you have some great plans for yourself.

And thanks to all of you for reading.

Bob