Tuesday, July 28, 2009

14

I can't let the events of the last couple of days go by without comment:

Jim Rice was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday, and, just a few minutes ago, had his number (14) retired by the Red Sox. Peter and I watched the ceremony on TV.

I wore number 14 as a kid whenever I could, in tribute to Rice. It was great to see highlights of his career; I'll post the video when it's available.

Of course, I promised cancer news during my last post, so here's why Jim Ed is a FoLB (Friend of Lympho Bob):

In 1979, Rice was named Honorary Chairman of the Jimmy Fund, and in 1992 was given its "Jimmy Award" for his years of work raising money to battle childhood cancer. He has also been very active with the Neurofibromatosis Foundation of New England.

(I added those last couple of things to keep it all cancer-related, but also to see how creative my brother could get in insulting someone who's such a great guy.)

1 comment:

mike said...

This situation has spun so totally out of control, that it's not really worth the effort. Proof that the HOF and the whole retiring numbers has become a watered down tribute at best. I predict that by 2020 most professinal sports teams will have to start numbering theor players in triple digits. The baseball writers, most of whom are pickled by the 2nd inning of a game, are really the culprits in all of this.

The intelligent sports media (sports talk raidio hosts) really should be the voters for such matters. They're far more in touch with the fan base. I mean, who knows more about sports that talk radio callers.

BTW- Mike Andrews is really the power behind the Jimmy Fund.

I don't need an award for my fundraising this weekend. Just a cold beer at the end and an ice pack.

see ya.