Thursday, May 7, 2009

That's What You Do

Nice article in this month's Runner's World magazine about Bill Rodgers, the 4 time winner of both the Boston and New York Marathons, and one of those Boston-area icons. The article is online.

Rodgers is a prostate cancer survivor. Here's what the article says about how he got the news:

Aside from the broken leg at 55 and a bout of plantar fasciitis at age 40, Rodgers hadn't a single health problem in his adult life. He was in Barbados for a 10-K in December 2007 when his doctor called with grave news: Rodgers had prostate cancer. "I was with a couple of friends, and we were having a lot of fun," he recalls.

"And as soon as I got that call, I was like, 'What now?' You don't know what the hell to do."

So what did he do?

"I ran the 10-K," Rodgers says. "That's what you do."

I think the whole "that's what you do" was supposed to show how dedicated a runner he is. Runners don't stop for anything. That's what you do.

But, really, it's what being a cancer patient is about, too. You get the news, you're confused, then you're devastated, but you get out of bed that next day and you move forward. That's what you do.

********************

I have an appointment with Dr. R tomorrow. I'm not expecting any big changes. I'll let you know.

No comments: