Friday, July 25, 2008

Follow-Ups

A few follow-ups to recent posts:


The results for the Bastille Day 4 miler have been posted. Mary and I finished in 40:47, and came in 132nd out of 165 runners. (And I still maintain that Mary could have finished much faster if she wasn't being so nice.) Lee finished in 36:13 (115th place).


My finish wasn't too bad, until you look at the guy who came in 131st, 25 seconds ahead of me: the second place finisher in the 70-79 year old age group. The second place finisher. The winner of that division ran in just over 30 minutes. Good gravy. Serious runners in DC.


The good news, though, is that I finished first among all runners from Connecticut, so that was pretty cool.

*****************************

Our old friend Jon Lester, Red Sox pitcher and NHL survivor, is doing great since he threw his no hitter this year. In an earlier draft of this post, I told you just how great, but now I'm afraid to give you details because I don't want to jinx him. Look up his numbers on the Red Sox stats site on your own.

*****************************

Yes, I was the only runner from Connecticut. Blah blah blah. I was still first.

*****************************

Regarding my brother's awesome legs, chiseled from miles of bike riding, and now good enough to show off a kilt: Here's a story about a postal worker who's lobbying the US Postal Service to allow kilts as part of their official uniform. I love that his older son (17) doesn't want to talk about it, and his younger son (15) wants to wear a kilt to school. Sounds way too familiar, especially since we brought the kids shopping for school uniforms yesterday, and John kept holding plaid skirts in front of him and doing an Irish step dance. He cracks himself up, which I totally respect.

Rumor has it, by the way, that my brother rode about 85 miles last weekend in preparation for the Pan Mass Challenge August 2 and 3. He'll be raising money for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, funding cancer research and helping kids with cancer. He's darn close to his $5000 fundraising goal. Visit his PMC profile site and kick in a little more.

I'll bet for enough money, he'd post a picture of himself in a kilt.

2 comments:

mike said...

Bob -

First, let me congratulate you on your 4 mile race again. I'm hoping that there were more than two septaugenarians in the race. Not that I'm worried about you being embarrassed by the fact that they smoked you - I just wanted to use a good SAT word, and hope that you are suitably impressed that I could actually dig deeper into my vocabulary than my usual litany of four letter words.

Just to clarify, I only rode 60 miles last Saturday. The weekend before, I rode 85 miles on Saturday, and another 40 on Sunday. So I think I'm ready.


For those that will be in the area on August 2nd and 3rd, if you have a chance to come out and cheer on the riders, I'm sure it would be appreciated. The map is posted on the PMC web site. I'm riding the 2 day route from Wellesley to Provincetown.

As for the kilt - the donations will have to be considerable.

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

Very impressive.
The riding, I mean. Not the 50 cent SAT words. ( I would have said 25 cent, but you're my brother, so I'm doubling it.)
Bob