Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Quickie

We're in the last few weeks of the spring semester, so my days have been insane. Hard to keep up with the blog. But I'll give you a couple of quick items to chew over:

First, Strudel and I ran again this morning. She did much better this time. We ran on a hilly course, so she probably appreciated that I was slowing down, too. There was much less need to pull her with me this time. It was still not a terribly intense workout, but we're building up. She actually woke up at 4:15 this morning, barking about something. I like to think she sensed the energy in the house from the impending workout.

Second: some fascinating cancer research in the news. Scientists are testing a technique using iron oxide particles to destroy cancer cells. The particles are attached to antibodies (something like the NHLer's best friend, Rituxin). The antibodies will attach to cancer cells, as they are designed to do. The patient is then placed into a "light oven," which uses infrared light to heat up the iron oxide attached to the antibody; the heated iron oxide then kills the cancer cell. Here's the story. It's from a British newspaper, so it's either deadly serious, or part of an elaborate Monty Python skit.

And since the comments are so few when I discuss something serious like new cancer treatments, I'll give you something juicier to discuss: a bogger's list of the Ten Cheesiest Singers of All Time. And I'm not ashamed to say that at one time or another in my life, I've owned music by 8 of the 10.

Enjoy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I am interested in the NHL therapy cutting edge stuff - it's just hard to make a joke out of it - which is what I do.

Since you and yours revel in great sports stories I thought I would pass on to what is perhaps the greatest feel good sports story of the year. And it happened right here in the great Northwest:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1209525916199200.xml&coll=7

Tom

Lymphomaniac said...

The link took me to a list of sports stories; it's the second one down.

Wow. Now that's a story. Thanks, Tom.

Anonymous said...

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1209525916199200.xml&coll=7


Sorry the link got cut off.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Aurgh!

If you click on the link on the Blog to the "A Quickie" story on the upper right then you can paste the whole link.

Lymphomaniac said...

Tom,
I know treatments aren't funny, but, jeez -- not even "This is new research on iron oxide? The researcher sems a little rusty to me." Something really low-level and inoffensive? Or are puns just completely beneath you?
(Isabel was horrified that I've owned music by so many of thsoe singers.)

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit horrified too. I'm sorry maybe I should be more sensitive. Is that another medical condition? HorribleSchmultzyidos? Or maybe a simple condition of tone deaf. I take that back you would have to be 100% deaf to be excused from having recordings from those "musicians."

Come on Bob what would the Drop Kick Murphy's say?

Love Ya, Mary S-B

P.S. And please don't admit to having any American Idol recordings either.

Lymphomaniac said...

No American Idol recordings, but I do YouTube David Cook's versions of "Hello" and "Billie Jean" all the time.

mike said...

Okay- time to chime in ( I know you've been waiting for my comments)

Billy Joel - agree. He peaked after Paino Man. I think I was in 8th grade. Any midget who can snag an SI swimsuit model should be absolved of his cheesiness.

David Lee Roth - agree. But as the article noted - he knew they wanted him as the class clown - and he obliged. Smiling all the way to the bank. He got his own radio show in Boston after Anthony and Opie got pulled off the air. Dave's show lasted a week.

Barry Manilow. AGREE. calling him cheesy is kind.

Morrissey. never heard of the dude. He looks kinda weird.

David Clayton Thoms. Agree. But he was fighting to pay the bills beteween the acid rock and disco generation. Did the best he could.

Tom Jones. Agree. Saw him on tv the other day. He and Wayne Newton are keeping the male girdle industry in business. sad. and pathetic.

Meat Loaf. DISAGREE. The man is a rock opera genius.

Cher. on the fence.

Neil Diamond. Agree. I can't stand hearing Sweet Caroline in the 8th inning at Fenway.

Michael Buble. Who the hell is he?

My Honorable mention:

Christopher Cross. Buddy you weigh 350 lbs and that Houston Oilers shirt ain't hiding anything.

Buster Poindexter. Hot hot hot you're not not not.

ELO(Electric Light Orchestra). Pass the Cheez Wiz.

The Partridge Family. the only good thing to come of them is watching Danny Bonaduce destroy his life on tv. what a chuckle head.

I'm done.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Mike,

You are hysterical and spot on.

I would like to add to the cheez whiz haul (I meant to spell it that way) of shame the name of Paul McCartney. Yea, that's right.

Yes, one can have enough of silly love songs. The statute of limitations has long expired on having to respect Paul for his work with the Beatles. Sir Paul should have spent at least three years of hard labor for poisoning the airwaves with the aforementioned painfully atrocious song. Don't even get me started on Band On The Run.

Tom

Lymphomaniac said...

When of the best gifts my brother ever got me was Wings Greatest Hits.

Do me a favor. Open the door. And let 'em in. Ooo yeah, yeah, let 'em in.

mike said...

forgot one:

Ediie Murphy - "My girl wants to party all the time, party all the tiiiiiiiiiimmmmme"

He had a good thing going with the concert film "Eddie Murphy Raw".

Remember Bob - Eddie - I want Half.

McCartney should have paid attention.