Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pan-Mass Challenge

Once again, my brother Mike will be riding in the Pan-Mass Challenge this year. He will be doing a 2 day ride this year (after a year of slacking off and doing a 1 day ride last year). This will be his sixth year riding, and he's raised over $35,000 to fund cancer research at Dana-Farber in Boston.
I assume that you, dear readers, don't need to be told how important it is to raise money for cancer research. But in case you want to send a link of this entry to some friends who might want to slide a little cash my brother's way, you can remind them that Dana-Farber has 22 clinical trials for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma going on right now, and 6 of them of are for Follicular Lymphoma, investigating treatments such as a lenalidomide and rituximab combination, a new vaccine, a couple of new inhibitors, and  a great big chemo/MIB/biological combo (Bendamustine, Rituxan, Bortezomib, Lenalidomide) that will impress your friends with its big words.
So even if you don't contribute to my brother (though I suggest you do), consider sponsoring some rider in the PMC. Here's the letter my brother sent out to supporters this year: 
*******************************
May 17, 2013
 Dear Friends and Family:
 This year on August 3rd and 4th , I will be joining over 5,000 cyclists riding for my 6th year in the Pan Mass Challenge to raise research funds for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
As many of you may know from sponsoring me in the past, this cause is especially personal to me as I have had several immediate family members and close friends that have been diagnosed and treated successfully for many different types of cancers. Some, like my mother, Jean are currently patients at Dana Farber, and others, like my brother Bob, have been beneficiaries of the breakthrough research that has been conducted at the DFMC.
Since 1980, the PMC has raised over $350 million for cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber. The majority of this impressive total is considered unrestricted support-critical, flexible funding that can be directed where and when it is needed most. As the PMC generates nearly half of the Jimmy Fund's annual revenue, every rider supports the efforts of more than 3,000 DFCI faculty and staff members as they make countless advances that have become the standard of cancer care and research.
I’m asking you to join me in the fight against cancer by sponsoring me in my ride with the 2013 Pan Mass Challenge. The doctors and researchers at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston are making tremendous progress in finding a cure for this terrible disease, but we need to continue to fund the fight and bring this to an end.
The easiest way to donate is to give on-line. The PMC site is a secure site.  To give on-line, you can go to the following link to my personal fundraising site:
Many thanks,
Mike

No comments: