Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Videos

Several cancer-related videos have come across my screen over the last few days. I thought they were worth sharing.

The first is a profile of Tig Notaro, the comedian who found out she had double breast cancer and went on with her show that same night, opening with "Good evening, hello, I have cancer." It was a brave act, as I have written before, particularly when one considers that, not all that long ago, people didn't talk about cancer, especially breast cancer. Yahoo! Shine featured her in their "Secrets to Your Success" series. She talks about her cancer (which is currently in remission) and how she dealt with it through humor. A happy update.

The second is a post-match speech from Scottish tennis great Andy Murray. After winning the Brisbane International, Murray thanks everyone, and then dedicates the trophy to his friend and fellow tennis star Ross Hutchins, who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma just a few days ago. The lymphoma caught my eye and ear, but I also have a soft spot for great competitive athletes who can put their competitiveness aside when the game is over.

Finally, a woman in Pennsylvania, who had detected her dog Tinkerbell's breast cancer three years earlier, had the favor returned when Tinkerbell clawed at her chest incessantly. She went to the doctor, and found that she, too, had breast cancer. Coincidence? Maybe. But there are trained cancer-detecting dogs out there, including George, the standard schnauzer.

This is a good time to remind everyone that my own beloved dog Strudel is also a standard schnauzer, though she did nothing to help find my own cancer. Not that I'm bitter. I'm just saying, it would have been nice for her to earn her keep a little. Instead, as I write this, sitting on the couch, she is putting her heavy head on my hand, keeping me from typing. I doubt I have cancer of the hand. More likely a little leftover dinner on my shirt that she's trying to get closer to.


No comments: