Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pay Me

Today is "Pay a Blogger Day," as declared by the web site Flattr.

Here's their description:
"Blogs are something that we read almost daily but how often do we step back and think about the time and effort that goes into writing an enjoyable, informative and entertaining post? Day after day, week after week, and keep the enthusiasm that writing brings the author? Pay a Blogger Day is our effort to put the bloggers in the spotlight to recognize the value they bring to the internet."

So, basically, I've been providing all kinds of great information and entertainment to you all for almost 4 years now, and it's time to give me something back.  Flattr suggests giving me about $10 by clicking my "donate" button, or buying my merchandise.

Of course, I have no "donate" button, nor any merchandise (although I've considered selling "Nodes of Gold" t-shirts). I don't even have any advertising that you can click on to make Google send me some cash.

Which is fine. This blog is at least as much for me as it is for you. Besides, Flattr made up the whole Special Day because they're a micropayment service and they want me to set them up as my donation administrator, so really it's just a way for them to drum up business. Which is also fine. I don't begrudge anyone the chance to make money. (But I don't plan on helping them, either.)

You still feel the need to pay me? Buy me a beer some time if you see me. Or make a donation to a cancer organization. The Pan Mass Challenge, maybe? Or LLS? Or maybe Patients Against Lymphoma? I've benefited, directly or indirectly, from all of them.

And if you still want to pay me, but you have no money to spare, then leave me a comment. Writers love to know they are being read. Tell me you like the blog. That's worth plenty to me.

Thanks for your support -- monetary or otherwise.

No comments: