Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Perfect

That's what Dr. R said about my blood work yesterday -- it was "perfect." All levels of everything are within normal range, which is obviously a good sign. No new nodes popping up anywhere, either, and my general health is good. So overall, it was a good visit. He said he wanted to see me again in 3 or 4 months -- he's comfortable stretching out the time between appointments. I made one for three months. I feel fine, but I don't like to push it.

****************

Today is my 18th mensiversary (the word for "month anniversary" -- since the "anni" in anniversary means "year," that doesn't technically fit. That's your fun fact for the day).

I was diagnosed with NHL 18 months ago today. Seems like something worth celebrating, or at least acknowledging.

It's been a strange 18 months, I have to say. I still get worried about small physical changes, though I'm thankful that my health is still good (as confirmed by Dr. R yesterday). I'm at the point now where there are long stretches that I forget that I'm a cancer patient. Sometimes I'll go a good 7 or 8 hours without even thinking about it.

(That's a joke. "Thinking" doesn't mean "obsessing.")

Of course, realist that I am, I also know that most people who watch-and-wait end up starting treatment between 18 months and 3 years after diagnosis. So in some ways, the fun is just beginning now. Of course, lots of people start treatment immediately, or after watching for a month or two. And then again, there are people in the support group who have been watching and waiting for 5 or 6 years.

We'll deal with whatever comes, when it comes. If nothing else, I've had 18 months to learn more about NHL and to feel more confident in my future.

************************

Lympho Bob will be taking a break for a little while. Off to the wilderness, and I don't know what kind of internet access I'll have. So if you don't see anything new being posted, don't panic. It means I'm enjoying myself too much to think about having cancer. That's a good thing.

1 comment:

Philip said...

Glad to hear the good news, Bob. Thanks for posting. -Philip