Friday, March 20, 2009

More Updates

I have some stuff to share about new and interestiung developments in cancer and lymphoma research, but they'll have to wait until next week. A few updates first.


*********************


Peter's basketball team won their league championship last night. They finished the season 33 and 1, and made it to the state semifinals. The league championship was pretty satisfying, because last year they lost the championship game by 40 about points (Peter wasn't on the team then), so the coach and some of the returning players felt a little bit vindicated. Peter played for about a third of the game, and did his usual great job on defense, fighting for loose balls and rebounds, and coming out of it all with an sore wrist and an elbow to the eye. But he thinks it was all worth it.


Peter played Junior Varsity this year (5th and 6th graders), and has been anxious about whether hell make the varsity team next year. But after the game, when he went to thank the coach for all he'd done, the coach told Peter that he hopes to get the team into an informal rec-type league this summer. "I want to keep my returning guys sharp. I'll let you know more soon." So we took that as saying Peter is expected to come back next year for varsity. That's a relief to Peter.


The biggest news of the night, though: Lady Luck continues to try to make ammends. I won the 50-50 raffle. These raffles are very popular at school basketball games around here. You buy a ticket for a dollar, and the winning ticket wins half the money collected, with the other half usually going to the school. BUT -- the winner can take a shot from half court (or ask someone else to do it), and if it goes in, the winner keeps ALL the money. This being a championship game, there was a big crowd, and they sold an unusually large number of tickets. So I won $100. Peter took my half-court shot for me, and while the shot was on target, it fell a little short. So I got my money and the host school got theirs. Good deal all around.


Still, Lady Luck still hasn't totally made it up to me for this whole cancer thing....


**************************


As for my health: I've been battling a strange ear thing for the last three weeks. I was on antobiotics for ten days, and the middle ear infection cleared up, but the kind of popping/pressure in my ears, with slight dizziness, has remained. I had my ears irrigated, and still nothing changed. I went to an Ears-Nose-Throat guy a couple of days ago, and my ears are physically fine (except for a slight loss of high frequency range hearing, probably due to too much Black Sabbath through loud Radio Shack headphones during the early 1980's). His guess is that the other problem is being caused by stress -- tight jaw muscles messing with my Eustacian tubes. He suggested I stop chewing so much gum and avoid foods that make me work my jaw too much. He knows of my health situation (some progression lately with the lymphoma) and said, "I can't imagine anything more frickin' stressful." So I'll go with his "stress" diagnosis for now.


I see Dr. R a week from today.


**************************


Finally, I want to share a personal problem I've been having. The Dial Corporation no longer makes Coast (Original Blue) Soap.


I've been using Coast for years, and about six months ago, our grocery store stopped carrying it. Isabel found a bunch of Coast really cheap at the discount grocery we also go to, and she bought me about 20 bars. Now that's just about run out. I looked everywhere and couldn't find any.


I went to the Dial home page yesterday, and found a link for Coast Pacific Rage, or something like that, with a link for finding a retailer who carries it. Well, even this new stuff is unavailable within 100 miles of my zip code.


I was curious if there was anything online about Dial limiting their selling area for this new version of Coast, and I found a video from a woman named Missy Ward, lamenting the loss of Coast Original Soap. As you can see from her video, she too is a long-time user, she hates the new stuff, and she has scoured retailers and the internet for Coast Original to supplement her stash of 250 bars of the stuff.


I've come to grips with the fact that I to give up on Coast, particularly if people like her are working that hard to find it. Which saddens me somewhat.


So if any of you have some old Coast Original Blue soap in the back of a closet, let me know. I can't promise I'll buy it from you, but I'll pay for postage. And if you accept Missy Ward's offer of $7.00 a bar instead, I totally understand.


But I'm also now looking for Coast alternatives. Send me your suggestions. Soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bob, you can get Coast soap on e-bay. I just looked (using the search term "coast soap") and someone is selling 54 bars for 59.95 (buy it now, i.e. no bidding) or for 49.95 starting bid. Not sure what the postage is, but this is about $1.00 per bar and would surely last you a number of years. I find that if you think something no longer exists, just try e-bay.

Kelly

Lymphomaniac said...

Yeah, sure. I'll put in my bid and that crazy Coast lady will sweep in with a minute left and outbid me. I guess I better just take the Buy It Now option.

Hope you're doing well down there, cheering on the ghoulish Danny Gokey....
Bob

Anonymous said...

Buy it now is only $10.00 more in this case, and you have the peace of mind of knowing your oodles and oodles of soap is on its way.

We are *so* over Danny. Love, love Adam. About time for a gay man to win, also.

But WTF about Alexis? So much for "dirty it up," only to be a lousy female role model for your baby daughter by wearing those trashy clothes and NOT WINNING. Don't listen to skanky Kara, kids--

mike said...

Wow. Lot's of info in this post. Where to begin...

First off- congrats to Peter and his team for their great season. Although from your descriptions of his playing style and the pics that Isabel sent last week, I think there's a hockey player trapped inside. Fine with me.

As for the ear ache - my guess is that it's more likely caused from you straining to hear faints utterances of English and German language spoken by Strudel. and listening to the other voices in your head. Try chewing on a big of plug if Red Man and see if that loosens it up.

As for the soap, you know you're really sticking your neck out there because this subject just begs for a smart aleck comment from me regarding the potential ramifications of dropping a bar of soap. But I won't go there.

No, my real suspicion over the soap hoarding traces back to nuns. I'm guessing that they're stocking up to make sure they have a sufficient supply to make sure that they take care of the oral hygiene needs of those young men that need a good mouth cleaning once in a while.

Yes, Mom, I know you're wishing that they used the bar on me once in a while, but I was smart enough to stay on their good side.

It's actually a good thing if the nuns are stock piling the supply, because if the Christian Brothers got a hold of it, they wouldn't wash your mouth out, they'd just throw it at your head to get your attention.

I wouldn't mess with the Coast Lady in the video. You wouldn't stand a chance.

Happy Monday.

Mike