Monday, December 15, 2008

Merry Christmas, Brother

My brother is recovering from a wee bit of leg surgery (a little outpatient stuff), and he requested a couple of Christmas-related videos to help him recover. They're a couple of all-time favorites.

**********************

First, the classic piece, "Santa Claus and His Old Lady," from Cheech and Chong. An all-time favorite.
Whatever happened to all that good drug-themed humor that we used to love? Oh, yeah -- it's still around. There was that Pineapple Express movie....
**********************

Then there's Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas. Beer-related Canadian humor. Almost as good as the marijuana-themed stuff.

**********************
So there -- I've fulfilled my brother's request. Now, on to me.

I had planned to run a 5k on Sunday, but couldn't make it. (To make up for it, I ran 4 miles on my own on Saturday. Just thought some of you might like to know I'm still running.) Some friends from work were running the Sunday race, and I really wanted to do it, but we had too many commitments, and I just couldn't squeeze it in.

And speaking of squeezing it in -- here's one race I WILL NOT be running anytime soon. It's called the Santa Speedo Run, and it takes place in Boston in December. As the name implies, you're required to wear a Speedo, and little else. Here's the offical race site, with a link to the official rules -- note the "No Thongs" stipulation. It's 1.25 very chilly miles, with lots of drinking before (to get everyone nice and brave) and after (to get everyone nice and warm).

Here's a picture from the race, courtesy of the Boston Globe:




You just know if I ever did a race like this, I'd end up on the front page of the Globe, and probably a hundred other online news feed sites. I don't need that kind of publicity.

There's a Seinfeld-referenced joke to be made, but it won't be made by me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, you are so considerate. Thanks for taking the tender-hearted people of Boston into consideration when deciding not to enter this race.

When the weather improves maybe you can fly to Portland and take part in one of our impromptu nude bicycle rides.

Tom

mike said...

Bob - thanks. Now I'm officially in the Christmas spirit.

Tom -
somehow, "impromptou" and "nude bicycle ride" seems like an oxymoron.(Another SAT word to impress Dr Bob). But I'm willing to do some field research. Perhaps over a couple of Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. and only if the air temp is above 75 farenheit. Wind chill could put a damper on things.

Happy Holidays

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

Mike,
"Impromptu" and "nude bicycle ride" an oxymoron? You've obviously never been to Portland. (I'm guessing there have to be some of those local public access shows available somewhere on line, right Tom?)

mike said...

Yes, Dear Brother. I have never been to Portland. But you should know that spontaneity has never been one of my strong characterisitcs. Nude bicycle riding is something that I would have to plan out verrrrry carefully. Beer would normally help in that kind of a situation, but I don't advocate drinking and riding. Road rash is bad, but road rash while riding nude could be taking pain to a level well above kidney stone pain.

Mike