Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mr McFeely

I need to send out a great big Thank You to Kelly and Josh. A few days ago, I got a package from them with a copy of Mr. Rogers' book, You Are Special: Words of Wisdom for All Ages from a Beloved Neighbor. But the best part was, it was autographed to me by Mr. McFeely, the delivery man from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and also included an autographed picture from Mr. McFeely, reproduced here:


I wrote to Kelly to thank her, and to find out how she obtained such treasures. Kelly told me that there was an event at a local museum and Mr. McFeely was there. Since Mr. Rogers had come up on the blog recently, she thought I'd appreciate the gifts. I sure do!

(Kelly and Josh -- I never thanked you on the blog for your first gift, a nice knit hat that includes, shall we say, a message to cancer conveying both my feelings toward cancer and my attitude about it. It's a four letter thing. Can't really put it online. Or wear it anywhere. But thanks again for it.)

I assume everyone remembers Mr. McFeely. Here's a clip to remind you -- Mr. McFeely is trying figure out who in the Neighborhood of Make Believe ordered a bunch of sand. "McFeely" is actually Mr. Rogers real middle name, in case you were wondering where the name came from.

The actor who plays Mr. McFeely is David Newell. He travels the country now, promoting Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, trying to keep the legacy alive. A documentary of his travels came out this year; it's called Speedy Delivery. It was on PBS earlier this year, and is out on DVD now. You can see the trailer at the film's official website.

The book that Kelly and Josh sent is very nice. It's a series of short quotes from Mr. Rogers on all kinds of subjects. He was a very positive person, but a very realistic one, too. A sample:

"There is no normal life that is free of pain. It's the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth."

Amen.

*****************************

Now, a message for my brother:

I appreciate your holding back and not saying anything about Barry Manilow. I tried really hard to find some connection between Mr. Rogers and Barry Manilow for you, but there was virtually nothing. You'd think that the two of them, as songwriters, would be featured somewhere together.

Here's the best I could find: an eBay ad for a People Magazine from 1978. Shaun Cassidy is the cover, but there are separate articles inside on both Mr. Rogers and Barry Manilow. As far as I can tell, that's the closest they ever came to meeting.

(Looks like a fabulous issue. There are also articles on Chuck Mangione, Bob Marley, Dennis Kucinich, Richard Nixon, Dolly Parton, and Madeline Kahn. How's that for a dinner party invitation list?)

3 comments:

mike said...

Bob -
send me the shirt. It will go well with my collection of t-shirts, like:

"Sorry if my loud pipes disturbed your phone call" - only worn when I ride my motorcycle. and

"Beer - helping white men dance since 1862" - worn whenever I want - except when I go to church. and several that say

"Nike" - in honor of the chiseld greek god that I aspire to be.

By the way, your blog is getting rather disturbing again. I could go on with the jokes about Mr. McFeely, but I'll be good. (trust me, it's not easy.)

Mike

p.s. "Hawking's still teaching. Really.

Anonymous said...

Since Mike is being so angelic I'll take over for him.

Bob -
Barry Manilow. . . Really?

I know you are getting older but are you aging exponentially?

Should I send you some Lawrence Welk 8 tracks for Christmas?

Mary

I did my best :)

Lymphomaniac said...

Hey, hey -- easy now. Both of you. You leave Larry Welk out of this. That kind of talk might drive me to writing a full blog entry on him, not just a comment.

I'll give you something to be disturbed about.....