Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We are the World

I came across this link yesterday -- a Japanese parody of, or maybe tribute to, the "We Are The World" video. It looks like it came from a game show or something, but honestly, I have no idea why they're doing it. Still, I love it. I can't decide who I like most -- the guy doing Springsteen or the guy doing Stevie Wonder.

The original is running down in the lower left corner, but if you want to see the full version, all on its own, click here. It brings back so many memories, so many questions. In the group shot, why does Lionel Richie hold his headphones against his ear and not put them on his head? Did he think it would mess up his hair? Who thought it was a good idea to give Willie Nelson, of all people, the part that required turning the page? And did Dionne Warwick resent being the one who had to do it? Did she do something to make Quincy Jones angry? Hall earned his line on his own -- but did he agree to sing only if Oates got to sing, too? Why was Dan Akroyd asked? Did you even remember that half of those people were involved?

I remember being on bus soon after it came out (March 1985), and overhearing two kids talking about how great the song and video were. "But did you hear that new guy, Bob Dylan?" said one. "Yeah," said his buddy, "His voice sucks."

*************************

My friend Nicole (known to you all as Cocovertigogo) sent me an e-mail yesterday with her thoughts on complacency, being in a kind of in-between place, and her own experiences with the feeling. It was a private e-mail, not a public comment, so I won't get into the details, but she did say that she thought kids (and my kids, whom she knows, in particular) probably have a better sense of that essential balance than we think they do.

Last night at dinner, John was panicked about one of his fish, a female sword tale. It's been acting a little strange lately -- hiding in the plants, not moving much -- usually not a good sign. But I've noticed she gets active once it's feeding time, so I haven't been too worried. Just likes to hide in the plants, I guess.

But John was very worried about it all. He thought she had some white scales near her eyes that he hadn't seen before. He noticed a red barb chasing her some, and worried about the stress that might cause. I offered a reasonable explanation for each of his concerns, and we decided that, rather than take her to the vet (!), we'd add a tablet that would clean the water and help improve her protective stress coat. "OK," John agreed. "I guess we'll just watch and wait."

I stand corrected. He is paying attention.

**********************

My mother-in-law is arriving this afternoon for a visit for the next few days. The kids are really looking forward to seeing her. Then mom and dad come Saturday, and my brother and his family on Sunday. I'll try to sneak in one more blog entry before Sunday.

Strudel and I continue to negotiate the topic of her next blog entry. American Idol? Her Final Four Picks? Some weird diatribe on the superiority of certain European breeds and their contributions to art and culture? I don't know if this is a good idea....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stevie Wonder was hilarious. Cindy Lauper was pretty funny too. Bruce was too good. If the lyrics weren't there I don't think I would have understood them. That must be how we sound when we're trying to mimic a language we can't speak.

Which judge is Symon? and what's up with the red and white suit? Yikes!
~Mary S-B