Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Blog Begins

Today I'm feeling: Just Fine.

Hello everyone.


As Isabel and/or I have explained, I'm starting this blog to
(1) Keep family and friends updated so they don't have to feel guilty or intrusive about asking how I am;
(2) give me a way to work through some of what I'm dealing with; and
(3) maybe (who knows?) provide some information to someone else out there who's going through the same thing.


That "same thing," of course, is Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I learned about the diagnosis three days ago; I'll post something soon about the experience of getting the news. About a month ago, we discovered a swollen lymph node in groin near my hip bone, and when it didn't go away with antibiotics, I had it removed and biopsied a little over a week ago. The initial analysis shows it to be Follicular Lymphoma, category 1, maybe a little category 2 (these describe how far along the lymphoma is -- 1 is the earliest).

I'm currently in the middle of staging, trying to determine if the lymphoma is isolated in that single lymph node area, or if it has spread elsewhere. This lymphoma often goes to the bone marrow, other lymph nodes, or to organs in the abdomen.

Yesterday, I had a bone marrow biopsy. The procedure is about as pleasant as it sounds: they suctioned out three vials of bone marrow and one bone sample from my lower back/upper hip. I'll write about that soon, too. Next Wednesday, I'll go for a CT scan and PET scan. These will help determine where the lymphoma is active. The PET scan involves being injected with a sugar solution. Active tumors consume lots of sugar to fuel their growth, so these areas will show up on the scan (if there are any).

Once we're done with those tests, we'll know what we have, and we can determine the best plan for treatment.

***********************************************************************************************
Now, about the blog:

I really wanted to call this blog "Lymphomaniac." However, as I learned when I set it up, there is already a Blogger-hosted blog with that name. I was extremely disappointed to hear this. Worse, whoever has the rights to the name has deactivated the blog, so I can't even look at it see how much better mine will be.

Even worse still, the name is so unoriginal that there are actual "I'm a Lymphomaniac" t-shirts available:
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cancer+awareness/-/pv_design_prod/pg_1/p_storeid.154994742/pNo_154994742/id_14908100/opt_/fpt_/c_666/
When I discovered that, I was profoundly disappointed, to say the least, about how late to the game I am with this whole "Lymphomaniac" thing.

So I 'm going with "Lympho Bob," which is OK, I guess. I like that it kind of echoes "Sponge Bob." It would be better if I had something to equal the "Square Pants" part. Sponge Bob Chemo Pants, that kind of thing. But with more pizzazz. I'm open to suggestions.

I also went with this particular template for the look of the blog because of the lime green color of the main header. The support ribbon for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is lime green. Well, it used to be. Maybe. Or it might have been something else like goldenrod yellow, or purple. The history and politics of cancer support ribbons is fascinating, and I'll write about that soon, too.

I'm off to see the surgeon to follow up on the biopsy -- make sure the incision looks OK. (It does from what I can tell).

Check back often. I'll have more to say. And feel free to leave comments.

And, of course, thank you for all your support.

9 comments:

mike said...

Bob -

Thanks for the update. I never realized my little brother was so computer literate. I know how much of a traditionalist you are, but looks like you've finally cratered and givem up the quill pen and ink well.

Even though I've been working in technology for over 10 years, I only count the money, so this is new to me too.

That being said, can you give me some idea of the rating protocol that I should follow regarding my language and comments. I'm not sure who's viewing this blog, so can you let me know on a scale of 1 to 10 how clean I need to keep my comments. Let's just say 1 is really wide open, like conversations between 2 brothers over pool and beers. 5 is "watch out, Mom's coming" and 10 is "Lunch with Mother Theresa".

It's not that I'm changing my ways and worrying about offending anyone. I'd rather do it in person so I can see their reaction. This internet thing can get very impersonal.

Keep posting. I'll be down to see you soon.

Mike

christine said...

Hey Bobby~ thank you for the blog, Im glad you have this so we know just what you are going through and how you are doing, you know we all want to call you but we don't want to bother you so this is great, im glad you didn't call it nympho bob :), anyway, i've also talked with a few of my friends that are nurses and they all say the same,or going to be just fine, and i know you will be, keep that sick sense of humor that we all love to get you through and know that we are all thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers.

Hugs and kisses to the family and of course strudel, we'll keep in touch and continue to pray for you.

Much Love,
Kim Sue a.k.a Christine

Unknown said...

Hi Bob - This blog is a great idea. We're keeping you in our prayers everyday. Your positive upbeat sense of humor will get you through this.

Love,
Denise

Unknown said...

Bobby - There's always Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was pretty good actually ;)

Denise

cocovertigogo said...

Dear Bob --

Even though after reading this blog, I realize you are healthier than the entire english department (and whole school of arts and sciences) in fact, I want you to know that to elimate any extra stress, you no longer have to worry about these things at work --

1. Dwindling copy paper. I had the copier removed on Friday, so we won't need the paper anymore.
2. Coverage of classes for those who don't like us anymore. I have assigned those classes to my favorite drive-thru order-takers at Dunkin Donuts on Dixwell
3. Donuts. Our new instructors will bring them
4. Scheduling. We've decided to it's not in our contract. Steve is on it. Until the matter is settled, we won't be scheduling anything. Warning: don't try to drive through our picket line on Tuesday. It won't be pretty.
5. Inappropriate behavior by faculty in department meetings. Since we have no way to copy all the handouts, we've cancelled the meetings too. And office hours.

So you see, all is well. No need for stress.

And for those of you who don't know me, I'll say this to you because Bob hates it when I say it to him --

(and to the rest of you I work with -- sorry)

Never in my life have I had so much respect, admiration, and outright fondness for anyone I have ever worked with and for. Bob has changed the way we treat each other in a department that needed to learn some things about kindness, humor, and love.

He is my every-day bringer of laugher, joy, and peace. And he makes my world way way better just by being near.

He knows I know he's going to beat this. What he might not know is that I pray every day that he knows this too.

Much love to the whole mceachern clan and those who love them,

Nicole

Io said...

Dear Bob,

Love the Blog name. You make me think of the British pilot yesterday who discovered as he readied for landing at Heathrow airport that he had lost both of his engines. In true heroic fasion, he glided the full plane in safely without losing a single passenger - true grace under pressure, like you today. I am very proud of you for realizing and using your many gifts to get through this difficult time. I continue to keep you in my prayers. Thank you for keeping us informed. Much love,

Mom

christine said...

Hey Bob~ Aunt Theresa sends her love and prayers to you, she still won't go on the computer, she's "afraid she'll break it",sad part is, im not joking, so much like Rosie Russo :), anyway your friend at work Nicole sounds like a real nice person, what wonderful things she said about you, does she know that you have special talents? Can i mention peanuts? Nose? Okay, i won't tell your secrets, promise, anyway stay strong, and keep up that crazy, funloving sense of humor you have, we are thinking of you always, love ya,,xxoo Christine, Aunt Theresa, Joey and Nikko.

christine said...

A dog that poops sprinkles? PRICELESS :)

Christine

Unknown said...

At least Strudel doesn't poop out red Battleship pegs like mine does. It must be a military thing with Terry and all.....