Tuesday, January 15, 2019

11 Years

Today is the 11th anniversary of my diagnosis with Follicular Lymphoma.

That means it is also the 9th anniversary of my Rituxan treatment.

If you want to know how I spent my day, it was pretty much the way I had planned it. There were a few small differences -- went the gym instead of a walk outside, and two of my kids came to the movie with us -- but it mostly went the way I had planned it.

**********

I get reflective on this day, as you can imagine. It comes at a good time of the year for reflection. The business of the holidays is over, but a new year has really just begun.

To be honest, I've had a hard time writing my Diagnosiversary piece this year. I usually start reflecting a few weeks before, and a kind of theme comes into my head. I've been trying for a few weeks, thinking about the events of the last year, and I'm feeling a little stuck.

One word keeps coming back to me: Liminality.

It's a good word -- one of those words that you find on a "Learn a Cool New Word Every Day" desk calendar.

It means being in a kind of in-between state. Still part of one thing, but knowing that some other thing is well on its way.

That's where I am now. Feeling like one part of my life is ending, and another is beginning, but I don't quite know what to expect.

**********

2018 was an eventful year. My father was diagnosed over the summer with lung cancer. He died in October. My mom died almost 5 years ago, from ovarian cancer. So it's been a strange few months, not being able to call them to share a story, or ask for advice, or just chat. I've spent some time at their house, going through some things, collecting some memories.


Going through so much stuff also inspired me to start cleaning out my own attic, so I've been going through even more memories -- finding some of my own stuff from high school and college, and finding a lot of my own kids' stuff, too. There's been a lot of looking backward in the last couple of months.

And then there is the looking ahead. My oldest child will graduate of college at the end of the year. This afternoon, he came back from being abroad for three weeks. My youngest will start college in the fall. My middle child is halfway through his second year of college, six hours away from us. We're going to be "Empty Nesters" soon.

Looking back and looking ahead.

Still part of one thing, but knowing that another thing is coming.

**********

And then there's the whole Follicular Lymphoma thing.

11 years. That's a new thing, too. When I was diagnosed, the median survival rate for FL was 8 to 10 years. I'm on the "good" side of the median now. But I'm still not sure what comes next. I know that there are lots of FL patients who can go years -- even decades -- without needing treatment. But I also know plenty of FL patients who have needed to be treated more than once, or whose disease got more aggressive, or who transformed. I have always assumed that, at some point, I would need treatment again. How could I not expect that?

Still part of one thing, but knowing that another thing is coming.

**********

I'm re-reading what I just wrote, and it all sounds kind of negative. I don't mean it to be. 11 years is absolutely something to celebrate, and that's just what I did today.

But then there's that nagging Liminality.

Of course, it's not like it's a new feeling for me. I've been in that "halfway, not knowing" state for 11 years, after all. Two years of watching and waiting. Then treatment (and even then, not knowing for sure if it was working or not). And then 9 years of pushing the worst out of my head and trying my best to live my life. It's a state of mind that I am mostly comfortable with.


I've never been a "Sunshine on My Face" cancer patient. Those are people who get a diagnosis and use it to appreciate life more. Strawberries taste better. The sunshine on your face feels warmer. Every day is a gift.

It's not it's bad to be that way. But it's not me. I'm more of a "Snowplow" cancer patient. Snow is great, for the first few inches. And when it piles on, there's no point in getting upset about it. You put on your gloves and boots, put your head down, and plow through it. There's too much to do to marvel at it, or be pissed off about it.

**********

I guess that's how I deal with the Liminality, the Uncertainty, the In-between-ness. Not to ignore it, or delight in it. Not to wish for the past. It's to live day by day. If you've been reading for a while, you know I'm an optimist, and Hope is my general position in life.

Living day by day is essentially hopeful. You're assuming that another day is coming tomorrow.

**********

I'm looking forward to a new year -- my 12th as a Follicular Lymphoma patient, and my 10th since my Rituxan treatment. I don't expect to resolve anything. I'll face some new challenges, personal and professional and medical. I'll try to put my head down and plow through. I'll learn what I can. I'll keep writing.

Thank you all for another year. I love hearing from you in the comments, and in email and Twitter. It's fuel for my plow.

Good health to all of you.
Bob

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

my gratulation for 11 years i wish you 5 x 11 of course

.... very nice blog...i read this regulary

My wife, 50y ( FL diagn. 04/2011) W&W -2014, 6 x BR 06-11/2014 CR, unfortunatelly..since 03/2018 relapse --- W&W until now ...let´s see what the doc will recommend by next visit... but in any case fear and worrying time again :(

regards and thanks again for your art of writing

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,
Congratulations for being on the good side of the curve! I'm 5 years out myself (3 years out of treatment) The inbetweenness is not a fun place to be, but I find that as time passes, I get better at living in this place of uncertainty. Your blog has helped so much along the way! I think it's great that you've chosen to give back to this community of ours with your writing. Wishing you many many more decades of health!
Lilly

Mylegacy said...

Bob, to me you'll always be "...on the "good" side of the median..."

To me, and I suspect to many who linger here for at least a look every day - you're our navigator. So far, you've led none of us astray.

Popplepot said...

May the snow be light and your plough be mighty, 11 years Bob I’m on 5 this May. It really does become a liminality way of life .The very odd day I forget for a few hours I am a cancer patient that’s a massive improvement on my past. This helped me ( The presence of anxiety is unavoidable but the prison of anxiety is optional ) when I look back now it was the worry that made me look forward and start living again. You give us all such hope and I sincerely thank you for that Bob. Every blessing for the year ahead.
Chris Belfast Northern Ireland.

Anonymous said...

Bob you are indeed a Godsend, every article of you gives us hope , thank u !!! Until now i still remind my husband fl strikes the most handsome so just hav to accept it , wishing you health and all the best cheers!! - Jeanne

msbuller said...

Hey Bob:

I haven't been in the blog-o-sphere for a good year. No reason other than I haven't. I just scheduled a new post and thought I'd poke around some of the linked blogs and so glad to see you still blogging regularly and having recently celebrated your 11 year diagnoseversary. Sorry it was a tough 2018 but wishing you the best in 2019
--michael

Lymphomaniac said...

Hello Michael! Nice to hear from you! I read the blog post -- glad you're doing well, and the treatments hae helped you do some weeding. Wishing you many more years of good health.
Bob