Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Cancer, Community, and Buffalo Chicken

My latest on Blood-Cancer.com:

Cancer, Community, and Buffalo Chicken.

I've been thinking more and more lately about community, and the need to be with people who understand what I've been through.


There's something very satisfying about someone talking about an experience, and getting the feeling that you've been there yourself.

A few months ago, I went to the HealtheVoices conference in Chicago. I wrote about this -- how great it was to meet other online cancer advocates and feel that kind of connection.

I didn't write about a session on the closing day, when a breast cancer advocate talked about having to tell her kids that she had cancer. I relived everything. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. When the session was over, I stopped her as she was leaving (three days and it was my first time getting a chance to speak to her -- she's very popular).

I introduced myself and said, "The stuff you said about telling your kids really hit a nerve."

"I'm so sorry!" she said.

"No no. Don't be sorry. It was a good thing. Really."

And it really was. As hard as it was to tell my kids, and as hard as it was to relive it right there, it was good to make that connection with someone else.

Is that weird?

Yes, a little, in a "misery loves company" kind of way.

But it also reminds me of how important it is to be a part of a community, especially one made up of other Follicular Lymphoma patients, or at least other cancer patients. People who know what you've been through.

And if that's not possible, then people who support you, even if they don't understand it completely.

4 comments:

icrazyhorse said...

So true Bob, so true. We keep in touch with two other follicular lymphoma patients who received CAR-T and have been in complete remission for several years. One of these patients, Ben, even started a website devoted to follicular lymphoma patients who have had or are considering CAR-T: https://fnhlben.wordpress.com/

We also keep updated with other CAR-T patients on Facebook - CAR T-CELL Patients And Carers and, of course, your great website.

William

Unknown said...

I was Diagnosed in Oct. 2013 with FL, Stage 3+. It was back again last Sept 11, 2017 at Stage 3. I had a Stem Cell transplant Jan. 9, 2018. Hoping to stay clear for a while.
I just found your blog. Looking forward to reading more.
Roxanne

Lymphomaniac said...

Thank you, William. And thanks for mentioning the CAR-T site. Great resource.
Bob

Lymphomaniac said...

Hi Roxanne.
Thanks for reading! And good luck with the post-SCT. Keep us updated.
Bob