Thursday, July 20, 2017

I Don't Care About What Caused My Cancer

As some of you may remember, this past spring I went to a conference for online health advocates. It was a good experience for me -- I had never thought of myself as an "advocate," and using that word made me rethink a lot of what I do.

So I've been more active on Twitter (follow me at @Lymphomaniac), and I have contributed more to the Facebook groups that I belong to that are dedicated to lymphoma. I'd love to do something with video, but that's a lot of work (and I don't know if I have the face for video....).

The other thing I said I would try to do was write more, and publish in places other than Lympho Bob. As far as advocacy goes, it would be nice to try to reach a larger audience.

Well, yesterday, I started that journey. A site called The Mighty published one of my pieces as one of their Featured Stories. The Mighty publishes articles written by patients, caregivers, doctors, and others, who live with cancer, chronic illnesses, mental health issues, and other conditions.

My piece is called "I Don't Care About What Caused My Cancer," and I invite you to click on the link and read it (and share it with anyone else that you think might like it). It touches on some familiar themes -- the emotional side of being a Follicular Lymphoma, not dwelling on the past, and living with hope. I enjoyed writing it, and I hope you enjoy reading it.

I'm hoping to keep finding places to share my writing and reach more people. I'll let you know when I do. (But the blog will always be my first Lymphoma Love....)

Thanks again for reading.

No comments: