Sunday, June 4, 2017

National Cancer Survivors Day



Happy National Cancer Survivors Day!

In the U.S., today we celebrate cancer survivors -- and that mans anyone who has ever heard the words "You have cancer," and is still around today.

On my diagnosiversary every year in January, I always like to do something a little special -- skip work and go to a movie with my wife, take a long walk, bake a cake. And my wife, every year, tells me that it's a little strange to celebrate the day. And every year, I remind her that we're not celebrating the day I was diagnosed, we're celebrating every day since then.

And that's what Cancer Survivors Day is all about. It's a celebration of life.

And for me, that means 3,429 days worth celebrating.

Enjoy the day. Celebrate life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great perspective!
I keep thinking I'm not a survivor because I haven't had treatment and I'm not cured.
Thank you for your wise words!
Donna

Lymphomaniac said...

Not my wise words, Donna -- that's what the National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation says a survivor is. I embrace it, though. If I made it through the day and got up again the next, then I survived. (And what I do in between is what really matters.)
Bob

harada57 said...

I haven't had treatment and I'm not cured.
Thank you for your wise words!

gclub