Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pan Mass Challenge

I'm interrupting my look at ASCO (I still have one or two sessions to talk about) to bring you this letter from my brother. 

Once again, he will riding in the Pan Mass Challenge, a two-day bike ride that raises money for cancer research at Dana Farber in Boston. Over the last six years, he has raised over $38,000, and he's a little more than halfway toward this year's goal of $5000.

Below is the letter he has sent out this year asking for donations. If you are inclined to donate money for cancer research, please consider giving to my brother's ride. Every little bit helps, and a good chunk of the money the PMC has raised over the years has gone to lymphoma research.

Thanks for considering it.

*******************************************
Dear Friends and Family: 
This year on August  2nd and 3rd , I will again ride  for  my 7th year in the Pan Mass Challenge to raise research funds for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. As in prior years, I'll be riding the 2 day route, over 165 miles from Wellesley to Provincetown.
As many of you may know from sponsoring me in the past, this cause is especially personal to me as I have had several immediate family members and close friends that have been diagnosed and treated successfully for many different types of cancers.  This year, I'm riding in memory of my mother, who was the beneficiary of the extraordinary care from Oncology team at the DFCI over the past three years.  I'm thankful to the Doctors and medical staff for giving us a few more years of memories and laughs.   I'm also riding in support of my brother, and several other close friends and colleagues that are in various stages of cancer treatment.  All are either patients at the DFCI, or beneficiaries of their ongoing research. 
Since 1980, the PMC has raised over  $350 million for cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber. The majority of this impressive total is considered unrestricted support -- critical, flexible funding that can be directed where and when it is needed most. As the PMC generates nearly half of the Jimmy Fund's annual revenue, every rider supports the efforts of more than 3,000 DFCI faculty and staff members as they make countless advances that have become the standard of cancer care and research.
I’m asking you to join me in the fight against cancer by sponsoring me in my ride with the 2014 Pan Mass Challenge.  The doctors and researchers at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston are making tremendous progress in finding a cure for this terrible disease, but we need to continue to fund the fight and bring this to an end.
The easiest way to donate is to give on-line.  The PMC site is a secure site. 
 To give on-line, you can go to the following link to my personal fundraising site:
Many thanks,
Mike

No comments: