Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cure for Cancer on a Smartphone

Cancer Research UK is sponsoring a smartphone game called "Play to Cure: Genes in Space." It allows players to decode genetic material while they play the game, "blasting through space."

Each time they play the game, they analyze the DNA of one chromosome. Apparently, players have done the analysis work in one month that it would normally take scientists six months to do. Apparently, human eyes are required to find patterns, which is how the game works.

I read about this just a couple of weeks after I have an orthopedic surgeon basically play a video game while he does arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder, working a couple of joysticks while he watches a monitor. I think I should have stayed a science major. It all sounds like they all have a blast.

Anyway, here's the story about the smartphone game. Video included!

And it's available on iTunes and Google Play for free!


No comments: