Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Jon Lester

There's at least one more game, and possibly two games, before the World Series is over, and I'm in no way celebrating anything, but I have to say once more a thank you to Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester. He was diagnosed with anaplastic large cell lymphoma, an aggressive type of NHL, when he was a rookie in 2006. He was treated and cured, and came back the next season to pitch well.

In January 2008, I was diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma, and while that's a very different type of NHL than Lester's, it was close enough to remind my son, 10 years old at the time, that people can come back from lymphoma and do great things. Lester was our model for hope. A few months later, when Lester pitched a no-hitter, there was more cause for celebration in our house than usual, and I'm glad I woke my son up and brought him down to see the 9th inning. He and I got to see the cleats that Lester wore for that game when we visited the Hall of Fame this summer.

He pitched brilliantly last night, and there's lots of talk that he might be traded this winter. So if that was his last time pitching in a Red Sox uniform, that makes me a little sad. But he's given me some great memories, and he will always hold a special place in my heart..



Also, I am a little jealous that he got a hug from David Ortiz last night. Papi is high on my "man crush" list....


No comments: