Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sequestration

I try to avoid discussing politics in this blog, because politics are so often unhopeful, and Lympho Bob is really about hope. But I will go there when cancer is involved.

And with the sequestration -- the automatic spending cuts to discretionary funding that started yesterday -- has a big effect on cancer.

An article in today's Daily Beast discusses the effects that the cuts will have on cancer research, at a time when research is really kicking into high gear. This will probably end up slowing things down, which is a shame, particularly because it was so avoidable.

Now, everyone else with a cause or a worry will say the same thing, and I suppose, if I'm being objective, that other causes have a point. But that, to me, is the frustrating part -- there's no conversation happening anywhere that lets anyone decide just what is important. As comfortable as I am as a watch-and-waiter, inaction bugs me when action would solve the problem.

The article, you will notice, has a distinctly Lymphoma tinge to it. The head of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is quoted, as are several lymphoma patients (including my pal Liz McMillan, founder of HOPE for Lymphoma, the great Facebook-based nonprofit that supplies information and  support to lymphoma patients. Friend them if you haven't already -- here's a link).

That's because the article was written by Jamie Reno, Lymphoma Rock Star. Nice to see our type of cancer getting some love.

Will anything change? I hate to be unhopeful, but I fear it won't. We're in such a divisive way right now, and I don't know why. What I am hopeful about is that some time soon, someone will break through it all and say something that will at least get our elected officials to talk to one another. In the meantime, let's hope that the breakthroughs we're already enjoying will continue to carry us through.

No comments: