Friday, May 20, 2011

Dr R Visit

Had another visit today with Dr. R.

Everything looks good.

*********************************

Every doctor's appointment includes a worry. That's just the way it is with Follicular NHL: every ache, every pain, every bump, every funny feeling -- you have to ask yourself, is it what it seems to be, or is it something else -- you know, something?

This time, as I hinted a couple of days ago, it was the congestion I've been feeling in my chest, coupled with a little bit heavier breathing than normal when I carry the laundry up a couple of flights of stairs. It just kind of feels like I need to cough something up, but I can't.

So when Dr. R asked how I was doing, I told him about it. I said I went to my regular doctor earlier this week, and she couldn't find anything wrong. I told him a friend was having the same kind of feeling, and her doctor put her on a bunch of allergy stuff and expectorants. I told him I assumed it was all the pollen and mold in the air over the last month. But, I told him, always in the back of my mind is the idea that maybe it's the lymphoma, maybe it's an enlarged node pushing on my trachea or lungs...

His response? He laughed.

I told him I wasn't sure if it was a good sign or a bad sign when your oncologist laughs at your symptoms.

He told me laughing was OK; it's when he cackles that I should be worried.

Given my blood counts, which are "perfect," it's pretty unlikely that I have overgrown nodes. Especially considering that I don't have any other symptoms.

So that was good news.

The physical exam was great -- no nodes (or anything else) swollen.

I brought up the idea of a scan. I was sure he would want to do one, since it's been over a year since I had one. But he said he'd rather hold off. "If you really want one now, and you tell me it's better for your schedule, then we can do one. But I'd like to hold off. I think 18 months would be fine."

So we're holding off on the scan. I'll see him again in August, before classes start up, with enough time to schedule a scan before classes start, too.

**********************

The bottom line is, I trust him enough to go with what he wants to do. I know my body well, but I also know that my mind plays tricks on me. So if his more objective eyes fail to see problems, then I'll go with it.

Of course, I'll keep you updated....

No comments: