Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I'm posting a little late in the day -- I like to give these kind of special wishes early, so anyone checking in can see them -- but I was sipping Guinness all day, and then just as I was losing enough of my buzz to type correctly, Louisville lost their first round game in the NCAA tournament, and I started drinking all over again, because they ruined my whole bracket.

(And do note that I said I was drinking Guinness -- green food coloring in beer is just not right, no matter what the day is.)

I also spent the day sifting through various St. Patrick's Day videos and blog posts, trying to decide which one to give you. I thought about going sentimental, with a nice post from an Irish woman who came to America a few years ago, and as much as our St. Patrick's Day celebrations annoyed her for perpetuating Irish stereotypes, they still made her miss home. Then  I thought about this one, with that cranky lady from the greeting cards, but it was rude. Then there are The Muppets, and you can't ever go wrong with them -- especially Beaker, Animal, and the Swedish Chef, my three favorites.

But I'm going more wholesome: a flash mob in Sydney, Australia. A flash mob is a group that "spontaneously" comes out of a crowd and does something planned and choreographed, and then disappears back into the crowd when they're done. Two of the better known are from the group Improv Everywhere: this one in at Grand Central Station in NYC and this one in a grocery store in Queens. My kids love flash mobs.

This one just took place a couple of days ago in Sydney, and features dancers from Riverdance along with som elocal school kids. Very cool, and very appropriate for the day.

Hope you had a happy  and safe one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brother:

I haven't posted for a while. Been wicked busy with work and stuff. But this being your belated St Pat's post- I figured now's as good a time as ever.

Hope you had a good St. Pat's day. I do agree with you that green food coloring in beer is just not right to say the least.
I wish I could have enjoyed a Guiness on St Pat's as well, but I have given up beer for Lent this year.

Really.

Now pick yourself up off the floor.

Of course, I googled for lenten exemptions, but all i found was stuff about old people being able to have "meals for sufficient strentgth on fasting days" blah, blah, blah. And technically since the church doesn't require you to "give up something for Lent",my search came up empty.

Literally, since Guiness is a Stout, i thought i could have gotten around it, but my rap sheet with St Peter is probably going on page 3 right now, so I figured, why should i give him another reason to fill out another "incident report"?

I take great pleasure in knowing that
1) my head didn;t hurt like yours this morning.
2) LOUISVILLE LOST TO MOREHEAD STATE!
3) BU will get schooled by Kansas
4) BU Hockey is not playing in the Hockey East tournament this weekend.
5) Northeastern is playing, but they're gonna get smoked by BC
6) Marquette is already further in the tournament than BU - and they haven't even played yet.
7) Marquette will beat Xavier, because we're a Jesuit school, so we're better.
8) Xavier is a Jesuit school too? ok, but Marquette is still better because it's in Milwaukee. and they have Breweries.

Lent can't end fast enough for me this year.

See ya

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

Kansas, Marquette, and Moorhead State all got lucky. If you expect any of them to advance to next weekend, you should go back to drinking. The Jesuits would like that.