Friday, December 10, 2010

What Not to Say

OK, this link is funny, but a little rude (so be warned before you click).

I've covered this subject before, but not in such a humorous way: the things that people do and say to cancer patients that really aren't very helpful.

This particular take on the subject comes from Glenn Rockowitz, a writer and comedian who is also a four (4!) time cancer survivor. The name of the article is "It's Funny Because It's So, So True: How Not to Cheer Up a Cancer Patient." It was first published in Seattle Weekly, but it's available online at Planet Cancer (a website geared toward young (18 to 40 year old) cancer patients).

Rockowitz hits on a lot of the problems that cancer patients occasionally encounter with people who mean well, but say or do the wrong thing. Some of my favorite lines from the piece:
  • As he was recovering from cancer surgery, Rockowitz received a basket of limes from his employer with a note that said "You'll do anything for attention." He assumed the note was an attempt at humor, and was confused by the limes. I especially liked that one because I've used a variation of the "attention" joke on someone else, and I think random fruit baskets are hilarious. But it didn't work so well for Rockowitz.
  • When people do something nice for a cancer patient, like make dinner, and the giver doesn't get a thank you and gets upset, Rockowtiz says to understand that the cancer patient probably has other things on his mind. "Please assume that your lumpy pal is grateful. And not just lazy or thoughtless." Your lumpy pal. I love that.
  • At the same time, says Rockowtiz, only cancer patients can make cancer jokes. I totally disagree. I'm desperate for new material and I wish someone, lumpy or smooth, would send some cancer humor my way.
  • Go easy on suggesting alternative "cures" for cancer. They're unproven; if they were proven, there wouldn't be any cancer. "Look, I know you mean well, but I have yet to see anyone pull out of a pancreatic cancer tailspin by sucking on a panda's claw for two hours a day." He also mentions something about Bosco enemas.

Anyway, pretty funny stuff, and the sprinkling of humor makes the advice go down a little smoother.

And, of course, none of this applies to my own family and friends, who are wonderful and sensitive in all ways. (It's the strangers and acquaintances who cause problems....)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doctor says, "I have two pieces of bad news for you."

Guy says, "What?"

Doctor says, "The first thing is, you have cancer."

Guy says, "Oh, God. That's horrible! What's the second thing?"

Doctor says, "You have Alzheimer's disease."

Guy says, "Oh, no! Well, at least I don't have cancer."

Joe said...

Hey, Bob, I haven't checked the happenings at Planet Lympho in a while. Sorry I don't have any good cancer jokes for you, so I checked the Google. The first thing I clicked on said

What do you call a person who has a compulsion to get lymphoma over and over again? . . .

A lymphomaniac.

OK, not so good a joke, but it was an interesting coincidence with your handle. Now brother Tom would say that I need two more weird coincidences, so I'll let you know if I come up with any.

Lymphomaniac said...

Already heard them both. But I appreciate the effort.