Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Personalized Treatment

Speaking of personalized treatment....


Last Thursday, researchers revealed results from the first round of the Cancer Genome Project. This is a very large-scale project that will involve looking at the DNA of cancer patients and determining which treatments work best on the markers present in that DNA. This is the essence of personalized treatment. The project started with melanoma, a good cancer to start with.


Read about it all here in a nice, easy-to-read article, unlike the ones I've been posting lately.


This was announced on Thursday, July 15th, which as it turns out was my two-and-a-half year diagnosaversary. Which means I'm also officially at 6 months since my first Rituxan treatment. So, a banner day all around.


Of course, I didn't realize is was benchmark day until the 16th. Otherwise, I would have had Isabel buy me ice cream.

2 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

Thanks for all your research and updating. with two small kids, I can hardly keep up. I always check here (as well as the online support group), to see what's out there.

It's also comforting to know someone is on the same path. As you know we run very much parallel in our story.

-Lori

Lymphomaniac said...

Lori,
I'm glad they're helpful. I know even for my non-NHL readers who don't fully get them, they so get that there's some very cool stuff going on for us, and it gives us all a alittle hope.