Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cancer Survivors Day

Happy National Cancer Survivors Day.

The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation has set the first Sunday in June as its Official Day. Anyone who has ever been diagnosed with cancer, and is now still alive, is considered a survivor. No further work is necessary.

What's kind of cool about this year's day is that we found out Friday that a friend's cancer surgery was successful. they found a mass on her kidney, she had it removed, and found out Friday that it was cancerous, but the removal seems to have taken care of all of the cancer. She called us yesterday to invite us to a cookout this afternoon. I don't know if the cookout was already planned, or it's to celebrate her good news, or if she even knows today is Survivors Day, but it's kind of cool that she's doing something fun today.

So listen to a little Gloria Gaynor.

Then go hug a survivor. It will be good for both of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. My favorite scenes from "The Repalacements" - one of Keaneau Reeves finest works next to Point Break.

Actually, i wish i could dance like those guys in the movie (I know you have it so please post Youtube video from the movie) but I inherited more of the Celtic dance(?) moves than those from the Italian side of the gene. Uncle Joe could always bust a good move on the dance floor. - I'm all elbows and hips - but it serves me well on the ice.

Happy survivors day. I'd hug you, but i'm not close enough. Thanks to all your friends that have sent in donations for my Pan Mass Challenge fund raiser. They're the angels that help push me up the big hills.

Happy Birthday in Advance. I'm still scarred from Sesame Street, but I'm almost ready to forgive you.

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

OK, but I have to warn you -- there's bad language in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9LhScThq84

definitely not Celtic dancing.