Sunday, May 30, 2010

New Numbers

Several weeks ago, I mentioned that I have recently lost a few pounds, but one of the sucky things about having cancer is that, when you succeed in losing some weight, no one says anything to you, because it would be kind of insensitive to say to a cancer patient, "Hey -- are you losing weight?"

As I said then, what prompted my healthier eating was my elevated cholesterol. I've always had decent cholesterol numbers, and it's always been a point a pride for me. When Isabel and I were first married, I hung the letter from the doctor with my 174 cholesterol reading from our dining room chandelier, so that when we had a party, all of our friends could see it and I could brag.

My cholesterol has stayed in the low- to -mid 180's since then. But after my physical in January, the doctor told me it had shot up to 206. I wasn't happy. I changed some habits.

Last week, I got it re-tested. The results came back yesterday. Five months of watching what I eat, and I'm back to 181.

As always, the lesson here is that I'm awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its true! you are awesome!

-julia