Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Musical Kids

Last night, the boys participated in their school band's spring concert. They did an awesome job. Below are some clips.

This first one is "Hogan's Heroes March." Peter played drums, which he has been doing a lot for the school band this year. John plays clarinet, of course -- you can see him in the foreground behind the flute player -- and said this one was his favorite piece of the night.



This piece is one of the night's ensembles -- small groups of the more advanced students. Peter and his friend Nicole play a saxophone duet of "Misty," with Nicole on tenor and Peter on alto. About six or seven parents came up to us afterwards to tell us how great Peter sounded. We agreed, but we're biased.




This last piece was the night's finale: "Super Heroes R Us," a medley of movie theme songs (Superman, James Bond, Batman, and Austin Powers). John does some fun clarinet work on this one.



We're very proud of our boys. They'll both be doing some advanced work this summer on their music, and we look forward to even better things next year (though it will be hard to get better than last night).

6 comments:

Stumpy said...

Wow!

That's impressive.

Considering your late stage musical emergence (final results tbd), I'm attributing this talent to the Buck DNA. Mainly because I can't think of too many musicians in our family.

Although I'm still toying with the bagpipe idea.

By the way - when is your guitar rehearsal?

Mike(Hocky man)

Phil Buck said...

Fantastic! It's great to see your boys cranking' out the tunes. If it's a Buck gene, it skipped a generation - we all like to sing, but none of us can play instruments except Joe (unless you consider Lee's accordion prowess).

Lymphomaniac said...

Thank you both. I guess if no one wants to take credit for their musical talent, then I'll take it. The big show is in about 3 weeks. I'm sure there will be video available....

Stumpy said...

Video of you big show? You're not getting off that easy. I already called Isabel for the date and time. I have my seats picked out - right in the front row so I'll be nice and close to the stage. I may even break out my kilt since this is such a special occaision.

I did not know that Lee plays the accordion. Brings back memories of my college days in Milwaukee and octoberfest. My friends told me that I had a good time. ;)-


Mike

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Congrats to Peter and John for a job well done. It won't be long before your three talented kids will be busking on the street corners of New Haven for spare change while belting out some new type of seriously thought provoking jazz-punk-folk hybrid music that inspires their uncle to pogo around in his kilt.
I am getting a mental picture now.

Tom

Phil Buck said...

Yes Tom,

We all have the image now. Quite descriptive.