Thursday, April 8, 2010

Warm and Fuzzy

I'm feeling better today, emotionally, after the good folks in our technology department cleaned a wicked virus from my computer for me.

It's a variation of a virus that I got last year; it pops up randomly and pretends to be an anti-virus software alert. It says you need to run anti-virus software, and when you click on it to run the (fake) scan, it gets into your system and then keeps popping up and disabling your browser until you agree to buy its (fake) anti-virus software. I didn't click on it this time, so I think that helped get rid of it easily.

Of course, it also burrows down into the operating system, so, as the IT kid said to me, "It seems like we got rid of it, but a lot of times, it comes back again."

I asked him if it was called The Follicular Lymphoma Virus. I didn't really expect him to get that joke.

**********************

A couple of weeks ago, the Cleveland Caveliers set a world record when they gave free Snuggies to the fans at one of their games and had all of them wear them at the same time. Some fans refused to wear the Snuggie, of course. Bunch of losers. Put on the damn Snuggie for minutes, for cryin' out loud.

When Isabel and I lived in Kentucky, the local minor league baseball team tried to set a world record for the largest line dance. For $5, which went to charity, you got a t-shirt and a shot at fame. When the game was over, we went on to the field for the line dance -- a little Achy Breaky Heart. We fell short of the record, despite people pleading with those who remained in the stands, telling them they didn't have to pay, only had to come down on the field and do a stupid dance. Why would someone stay and watch a couple of thousand people be disappointed? Why not just leave?

I'm still bitter about my chance to be a part of something so special.

The Cavs fans, however, did set the record.

Until Tuesday night, when fans of the LA Angels broke the Snuggies record.

Maybe they have a world record, but none of them look as good as me in that Snuggie....

No comments: