Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thanks

Well, we've had a day to process all of this. We're doing OK. I still feel fine, physically, and I'm doing OK mentally. I've had lots of time to prepare for this next step.

The kids seem to be handling it all OK, too. It helps that I haven't changed much in the last two years. We've been honest with them from the start, trying not to sugarcoat things, but also trying to put things in terms they can understand and not panic about. After school yesterday, we told them what was going on. Catherine wanted to know if I'd lose my hair (No), and John wanted to know what would happen if the Rituxan didn't work (Move on to another treatment and try that one -- we're not in a huge hurry). I think there's a video around online somewhere of Rituxin doing its thing on a cancer cell; I told them I'd look for it, and they were excited about seeing it.

Isabel has been doing OK, too. Like everyone else, she knew this day would come some time. She's a little bit stressed, but also a little bit relieved that we have a plan (waiting has been hard on her -- she is a woman of action, as some of you know, and much less likely to sit and watch things than I am). But she's handling it pretty well. Still, don't forget about her -- caregivers get lost in the shuffle sometimes, and she will need some reaching out to as well.

I appreciate the comments that I got on the blog entry yesterday, the responses on Facebook, the phone conversations. It's very comforting to know we have so many family members and friends (and even some acquaintances) who are willing to help out and keep us in their thoughts and prayers.

The online support group has been great, with lots of folks saying they're pulling for me, reminding me that they're all there for me, and sharing their experiences with Rituxan and CVP. They've been such a great source of information, inspiration, and comfort for these last two years.

I'll post more sometime tomorrow about Rituxan, and maybe find that cool vidceo, too....

No comments: