Thursday, October 22, 2009

Will and the Way

My friend Will sent this message to a bunch of us on a writing message list Monday. As you'll read, it was his birthday, and he's recovering from a recent liver transplant, brought on by liver cancer.

Will and I work together. He writes poetry, and writes about technology, and about J.D. Salinger, who wrote The Catcher in the Rye -- one of my favorite books by one of my favorite writers. And despite his being a Yankees fan, I still like Will a lot. We've unfortunately found more in common with one another lately -- like stories about nightmarish PET scans.


Anyway, Will's post pretty much speaks for itself:


I generally avoid my birthday and have avoided talking about health probs, but not today. As I turn 57, I want this list to know that I am three weeks into recovering from a liver transplant. It’s an amazing gift of life.


I was diagnosed with Primary Liver Cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma) on Dec 24 2008, operated on two weeks later, but too much cancer was found to remove surgically. My only chance of continuing my life was a transplant. In case you don’t know, there aren’t enough organs to cure folks in need of them and I’m hoping my experience will inspire us to donate our organs upon death. I feel as if I have added a new spirit to my soul because some 41 year old man from the Bronx had the kindness and love for others to become an organ donor. I had the benefit of the top docs at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC, a good healthcare plan, and a very supportive school, and I have the greatest wife in the world (and I’m not just saying that because I get lasagna and chocolate cake tonight).


The hardest part was waiting and knowing there are not enough organs for all those who need them—so if you haven’t done so already, PLEASE consider making yourself an organ donor. It’s a beautiful way to help others and I really feel that my donor’s spirit lives with mine now. I want to pass on the help he has given me even though I can never do as much for others as what he has done, but have to come out of my health privacy and even birthday shyness to let all the good folks I know that my experience has been incredibly life affirming.


At the end of chapter 12 in The Catcher in the Rye, Holden claims “people are always ruining things” but by the end of the book he learns that may not be true, and that at least he doesn’t have to become a person ruining things...we can help each other in a very powerful way by simply signing on as an organ donor. If I’m the first TP person you know, please try to understand why I think it’s so important to give life when you allow your organs to be used after your death. I know it sounds a bit strange and possibly morbid, but I feel so joyful and thankful that I believe if I share this good grace, others may do so as well.


With love and respect, Will

**************************

I can no longer give blood, let alone donate an organ. So throw in an extra one for me when you sign the little card.

No comments: