Tuesday, October 20, 2009

LRF

I have a confession to make.


....I have a Twitter account. I finally got to use "Lymphomaniac" as a handle, and I'm very excited about that. I can be tweeted at that address.


I have another confession.


....I haven't sent any tweets yet, and I don't really have any plans to.


If you don't know what Twitter is, it's a so-called micro-blogging service, but each "blog" entry is limited to 140 characters. I'm an English professor; I can't say "Good morning" in only 140 characters.


No, I need the wide-open, Kansas-prairie-like space of a blog, or a mega-blog, or whatever the opposite of a micro-blog might be, to flesh out the depths of my thoughts.


Anyway, in the couple of weeks since I've had the Twitter account (I'm using it for a research project), I've actually attracted a few followers, which I think is pretty funny, because I've offered nothing for them to follow except for the envy-producing name "Lymphomaniac."


One of my followers is the Lymphoma Research Foundation, a very cool organization that I've linked to a few times here, but never really highlighted (as far as I can remember).


LRF focuses on raising funds for lymphoma research and providing support for patients and caregivers. Some nice stuff on the site, including a series of videos and podcasts on different types of lymphoma (a video that I recently I linked to, focuisng on Follicular NHL, is up there). They also have a fantastic program called the Lymphoma Support Network, which connects new lymphoma patients with other patients, former patients, caregivers -- people who have been through it already. A very nice way of getting some support.


Finally, they have a sections called Stories of Hope, which features profiles of lymphoma patients who have fought and won their battles. One of the more recently posted profiles is of Betsy de Parry, whom I've writtten about before (she does the new series of podcasts for Patients Against Lymphoma). There are a couple of other familar faces there, too -- people I know from the support group (which is also a featured link on the LRF site).


This is one of those sites where you can click around for a while and keep finding new and interesting stuff. Highly recommended.


Tweet me about it if you visit and find something good. Just don't expect a response....

No comments: