Thursday, June 5, 2008

Doctor's Visit

Had my 6 week check up with Dr. R this afternoon. Everything still looks good.


My bloodwork hasn't changed much. Red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets are all at the same levels as last time. No problems there. If there weer changes, we'd have to investigate wheter or not they were signals of stuff happening elsewhere (like the lymphoma spreading to the bone marrow, for example). But all that's still fine.


The physical exam was good, too. No new nodes popping up anywhere. In fact, it seems like the cluster near my hip bone might have shrunk a little. (It felt the same way, to me too, while I was feeling around there a few days ago). That's good news, but not something to get overly excited about -- the waxing and waning is typical. Unlikely that's it's going aay on it's own (though I'm happy to entertain any miracles that come my way).


And I'm feeling OK, too. No fatigue, night sweats, or other B symptoms.


My mom is visiting for the week, and she was able to come to the appointment and meet Dr. R. She thinks he looks very young, which is true. She like him. He's very gentle, and very polite (he was nice enough to ask Mom if she had any questions). I think she mostly liked being able to picture now what it looks like when I say I'm going for an appointment. That's comforting.


So we're good for now. I go for another CT and PET scan in the middle of July, and follow up with him a week or so after that.


*************************


I had a good few days in Philadelphia at my conference, the annual meeting of the Society for Technical Communication. I learned a lot, and got some nice ideas for teaching and research projects I'd like to do in the next couple of years.


I had a little fun, too. I saw the Liberty Bell and Congress Hall. I wasn't able to see Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence and the Consistution were signed; my spur-of-the-moment visit meant I was too late for tickets. But Congress Hall, where Congress first met, was very cool, because I've been slowly making my way through the 800 page biography of John Adams, which I read on the train to Philadelphia. So I got to see the room where Adams was inaugurated President, and where he presided over the Senate when they debated for months over how to address President Washington (Mr. President? His Majesty the President?), nearly driving him insane. That was pretty cool.


I also got to see a former student of mine, now a very successful technical writer in Colorado; I saw a Phillies game (Ken Griffey, Jr. walked in his one at-bat, and so didn't hit home run #600. We booed the pitcher for not putting it over the plate); I had a very good Philly Cheesesteak from Rick's (which will be closing in a few months); and, of course, I chatted with colleagues from across the country and the world about writing.

It was rejuvinating. I'm glad I went. Nice way to close out my time as department chair.

5 comments:

mike said...

Bob -

Glad to hear the good news. Hopefully it will continue to be good news, even when you get to a different treament phase.

Good thing Mom liked Dr. R, because if she didn't... Well, let's say she has a good inside pitch, usually aimed at my head when the wiffle ball games get heated up. Tell him not to crowd the plate.

Wish we got to see some of Philly when Nicole and I were donwn there visiting Villanova, but we didn't have any free time for sightseeing.

Interesting that you're reading John Adams biography. I've been trying to finish up Ben Franklin's biography. I think our taste in literature clearly defines our differences. You read about John Adams, a statley, father of our country, family man. Basically a boy scout. I read about Ben Franklin, an entrepeneur, womanizer, beer guzzling leech. All fine qualities if you never want to be President. Mr Clinton should have read his history.

The one take away - if they were around today, Adams would be on a BMW, and Franklin would be riding a Harley. With straight, loud pipes.

See ya

Mike

christine said...

Hey Bob and family~ We are so glad that nothing has changed and you are feeling good, thank God, and im glad Mom was there with you, keep strong and positive always praying for you ~ Christine, Aunt Theresa, Joey and Nikko.

P.S. Im having Strudel withdrawals when will we hear from her again????

Lymphomaniac said...

Yeah, Mike, it's a good thing Mom liked Dr. R. I told her she needed to be nice, and she said, "Of course. I'll just introduce myself and say, 'So you're the doctor who is going to cure my son..." No pressure or anything.

Fabulous assessment of Adams and Franklin, who loved and then hated each other. I agree with all except for one thing: No BMW bike for Adams. He'd be driving a Ford Freestar minivan. And coaching John Quincy's tee-ball team.

(Ever read Ben Franklin's essay on farting, written to the Royal Science Academy of Brussels? http://www.bffff.org/frtprd.html)

Chris, I'll talk to Strudel about posting sometime. She's getting antsy with the good weather, so I can't guarantee she'll behave herself. Not that I ever could. She's worse than my mom.
Bob

Joe said...

A number of other historians think that McCullough was much too kind to Adams, who after all presided over his party at the time of the Alien Act and the Sedition Act, criminalizing criticism of Adams. The Sedition Act was carefully crafted to omit the Vice President (Jefferson, from the opposition party), meaning that he could be criticized without fear of arrest. Adams' people had opposition newspaper editors (including the grandson of Benjamin Franklin) beaten (I believe McCullough claims that Adams himself was somehow innocent of the worst excesses).

Here's one alternative take on the matter.

Lymphomaniac said...

I thought it was pretty interesting to see McCullough gloss over some of dams faults, particularly his support (and use) of the Alien and Sedition Acts. I also enjoyed how poorly Jefferson comes off -- free-spending, two-faced, head-in-the-clouds. I couldn't help but think of how much Lee would cringe at reading it.