Monday, January 7, 2019

Cause of Death in Follicular Lymphoma

First post of the new year.

I've been sitting on an article for over a month, trying to decide how to comment on it, or if I even wanted to.

But I decided it's probably as good an article about Follicular Lymphoma -- and my approach to being a patient -- as I'm ever going to find. So here goes.

The article was published in The Journal of Clinical Oncology, and it's called "Cause of Death in Follicular Lymphoma in the First Decade of the Rituximab Era: A Pooled Analysis of French and US Cohorts."

Death. Ugh. I don't like to talk about death.

But I think there's some good news (along with the bad news that always comes from talking about death) in this study. That's why it seems fitting -- nothing is ever completely positive or negative when it comes to FL, and I always end up looking at the positive.

The study looked at two groups of patients (734 from France and 920 from the United States), and examined how many of them died within 10 years of diagnosis, and what the causes of death were. They found about an 80% Overall Survival rate for the two groups combined. The causes of death were: Lymphoma (10% of the group), causes related to treatments (3%), other cancers (about 3%), other causes (2%), and unknown causes (3%).

I've rounded those numbers, because if I said "10.3%" instead of "10%" or "2.9%" instead of "3%" then it would all seem much more specific and thus more real and we'd all get hung up on numbers. And I don't want that to happen. Doctors and researchers can carry numbers out to multiple decimal points if they like. We're patients. We have other issues to think about.

(And if you still need to remind yourself about why statistics don't matter, look here.)

The authors of the study take two lessons from all of this: First, it's a problem that so many FL patients die from lymphoma. (This includes transformed FL and EFS24 patients -- those who had immunochemotherapy but whose FL returned within 24 months). Overall Survival has increased, say the authors, but 10% is just too high. In fact, right after the article came out, the talk on Twitter among FL experts was that they needed to do a better job at getting that figure down.

The second takeaway is that the 3.0% treatment-related causes is also too high. These include, for example, infections related to treatment because of a weakened immune system, or heart damage. They call for less toxic treatments that won't do more damage than they are helping with. (I think researchers are working hard on this.)

Now, as a patient, I know my first reaction to seeing this study, and those numbers, and some of the commentary, is to focus on the negative. And that is completely understandable. I remember seeing some survival statistics a couple of weeks after I was diagnosed and getting hit very hard emotionally by them.

But I'm always an optimist, as many of you know, and I see lots of reason for hope in this study. Look beyond the title -- anything with "Death" and "Follicular Lymphoma" so close together is going to put you in a mood to look for the negative. So force yourself to look at the positive:

First, the reaction of the Lymphoma community is great. Experts looked at this study, and their first reaction was not "Hey -- Overall Survival is up. We're doing a pretty good job." No, the reaction was, "Not good enough. we need to try harder." Remember that -- good things are coming. These folks are relentless.

Second, Overall Survival for 10 years is about 80%. Do you know what it was when I was diagnosed in 2008? Well, neither do I. But it was a lot lower than 80% -- low enough to put me into a deep depression for two weeks. OS is getting higher.

I think it's easy to focus on the 20%. Don't forget the 80% -- it's 4 times higher than the "bad" number.

Third, in some ways, this study doesn't tell us much of anything new. People who transform are at higher risk of a lower OS. We knew that. Same with EFS24 patients. We knew that, too. Most of us are fortunate enough to be in the 80%. For those who unfortunately are not, there is greater awareness in the last few years that this population needs to be watched carefully and treated as soon as possible. More needs to be done to help them, but awareness is a good first step.

I'm sure some of you have heard the phrase "Follicular Lymphoma is something that people usually die with, no from." I think that study bears this out -- 90% of people with FL will die of other causes. FL is not a good thing, but it remains treatable and manageable for many of us.

So there you have it -- first post of the new year. It sums up my experience as a Follicular Lymphoma patient pretty well. Good news along with the bad. Hope for the future. And a wish that we all hang on tight, take a deep breath, and try not to be overwhelmed by things that seem bad.

I'm looking forward to a good year. I hope you all are, too.

6 comments:

Allan said...

Thank you Bob for doing these blogs. I look forward to your articles because it gives me hope for the future. I was diagnosed in the summer of 2015 (but believe I had this much longer). We did watch and wait at the University of Michigan until April of last year at which time I began a weekly course of Rituxan (4 weeks). Everything was confirmed to be cleared up in June of last year. Here is hoping my upcoming check up will continue to show this.

icrazyhorse said...

Hi Bob

Thanks for continuing your excellent FL blog. My wife is in the EFS24 patient group. She progressed within several months of completing two hard chemotherapy's - R-CHOP and BR. Then she received CAR-T in an NIH clinical trial she has been in CD for almost 3 years. So there is hope even for EFS24 FL patients.

Best wishes for a great 2019!

William

icrazyhorse said...

That should have been CR vice CD.

Mylegacy said...

Bob, to quote Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life!" And I do.

Speaking of "Death Statistics" -

My wife was born in 1933 and lived in England during the war. Needless to say there were a considerable number of pilots frying for the Luftwaffe who were attempting to make her a Statistic. She did not accede to their wishes.

Brings to mind a joke about "Death Statistics" circulating in England during the war.

Two statisticians in a restaurant were talking about the chances of being a victim of German bombing. An old man at the neighbouring table started laughing and said that he, personally, could not be killed by German bombs.

He explained: "I live in the basement of a three story house. To get me the bomb would have to go through the roof, the third floor, the second floor, the first floor and then blow up in the basement AND even if it did I wouldn't be dead!"

That's, "Just preposterous!" said one of the statisticians.

"Not at all." replied the old man "I'd be down the block at the Dog and Whistle having a pint!"

Just because some statistics don't look too good for some of us doesn't mean we're gonna draw the short straw. Follicular Lymphoma may know where I live - but I'm betting I'm at the pub if it visits!

Marcela Canary Islands said...


Marcela Canary Islands
Hello Bob. Always reading all your publications that are of great help to me. In my case when I was looking for statistics and survival for follicular lymphoma, your blog was my resting place, it offered me the strength to keep going, Thank you always. Here I put a link with the one that begins my year that I would like you to visit. Dr. Andreas Rosenwald, expert in the diagnosis and etiopathogenesis of lymphomas, visits the Josep Carreras Leukemia Research Institute. Https://www.fcarreras.org/es/el-dr-andreas-rosenwald-experto-en- diagnosis-and-etiopathogenesis-of-the-lymphomas-visit-the-institute-of-research-against-the-leukemia-josep-care_991470. After reading it, I celebrated it with a big bowl of ice cream. I hope you will do the same. Greetings from the Canary Islands.

Tushar Joshi said...

Thanks for the post Bob. You were diagnosed in 2008 and you are writing this post in 2019. This gives me tremendous hope and happiness. I am diagnosed with FNHL low grade in 2018.