Saturday, September 15, 2018

World Lymphoma Awareness Day

Happy Lymphoma Awareness Day, everyone!

That might be a strange thing to be happy about, especially for a bunch of lymphoma patients and caregivers.

But as a 10+ year survivor, I think we do have a lot to be happy about.

Lymphoma researchers have made some great strides, with new treatments available now that weren't there for us 10 years ago. And more in the pipeline.

Overall Survival is up. When I was diagnosed, I read that the median survival was 8 to 10 years. Now researchers are saying it's close to 20.

Plus, I'm still here. we're all still here. That's worth being happy about.

And as happy as the Big Things are, it's worth focusing on the Little Things, too.

The Lymphoma Coalition, which is made up of 75 Lymphoma-related organizations in over 50 countries, has chosen a theme for this year's World Lymphoma Awareness Day:

Small Things Build Confidence.

As much as those big things like survival rates should give us a reason to be happy, the Lymphoma Coalition is asking patients to think about (and share) the small things that give them confidence and make you feel better.

Maybe a small trick that you learned that's helped you deal with a side effect.

Maybe some positive habit you have formed.

Maybe a person you make sure to think about or talk to every day who has helped you feel like you're going to be OK.

I'll share one.

I embrace this disease. Some people don't want to think about it, and if that's how they deal with it, then that's great. we should all do what works for us.

For me, I think about it every day. I check in with support groups, go through my Lymphoma-heavy Twitter feed, watch videos, and do research.

I don't want to forget that I have it. I always want to be ready that I can take it on.

And I'm confident that I will.

Enjoy the day. Eat some ice cream, take a walk, scratch a puppy's ears -- do something that makes you feel good today.

No comments: