Monday, July 9, 2018

Keto Diet and Lymphoma Treatment

Fascinating news last week: a clinical trial will start soon that will examine the effect of diet on a specific lymphoma treatment.

Two things worth paying attention to here.

First, the study itself: Lymphoma patients will be given Copanlisib (also known as Aliqopa), a PI3K inhibitor. (Copanlisib is approved for relapsed Follicular Lymphoma, though I don't know which types of Lymphoma will be involved in the study.) PI3Ks work by effecting how a cell (like a cancer cell) takes in glucose, the sugar that a cancer cell needs to grow. Interrupt the food supply, and you mess with the cancer's survival.

However, researchers have known for a long time that the body's natural reaction, creating insulin, can mess with the effectiveness of the PI3K inhibitor. So, this study will look at whether or not a ketogenic diet will increase the effectiveness of the inhibitor. A Keto diet (as it is known) involves eating high percentages of fat and low percentages of carbohydrates (which can raise blood glucose levels). So a keto diet, taken while a patient is on the PI3K inhibitor, might help make it more effective. A study on mice shows that this is a possibility.


That in itself is pretty fascinating to me.

But there's a second thing that's worth paying attention to.

I saw this posted on a couple of different places online, and the immediate reaction to it from some lymphoma patients was to announce that they were going to start following the keto diet.

Slow down.

The research is not about whether the keto diet will help your cancer. It's about whether the diet will help make a specific type of cancer treatment more effective.

In fact, following the diet could do the opposite, and harm you. From another article on this research: The researchers say "they would discourage patients from putting themselves on diets after reading about the latest findings. There is no evidence that the ketogenic diet, for instance, would be helpful on its own – in fact, for leukaemia it appeared to accelerate the disease’s progress."

Let's make that really clear: for one type of blood cancer, the keto diet doesn't help, it actually make the cancer become more aggressive.

It's so important to read carefully.

I've been dealing with FL for over 10 years, so I get the impulse to look for easy answers -- eat this, not that, and your deadly disease will go away.

And I get the impulse to believe it when you heard that a friend of a friend did just that -- ate the goji berries, did yoga every day, bounced on a trampoline, visualized the tumors getting smaller, whatever -- but without rigorous studies of those things, under controlled conditions, none of it means anything. [And those are all things that people advised me to do to cure my cancer.]

I'm not saying diet or exercise isn't important, or that the keto diet doesn't work (I have a friend who is diabetic who swears by it). I am saying that until I get some legitimate scientific answers, I'm not going to entrust my life with it.

And this study is part of a larger series of studies that will focus on "rethinking human diets for cancer." That's great -- we need strong, evidence-based studies that will give us a real sense of how elements of our diets might effect us as patients.

I look forward to seeing how this trial plays out -- it looks like it will start up in October. I'll post any new info I see. I'm all for supporting clinical trials for Lymphoma, but even more, I'm all for supporting trials that might help us slow down and think more carefully about things like diet that might hurt us as much as we wish they could help us.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

All excellent points, and I agree with you when it comes to reaching for these ideas as an answer. However, I will say, as someone who has really struggled with eating habits for much of their life, I did do a 30 day whole foods diet back in February, and it really changed my eating behavior. And I did dip into ketosis (not surprisingly, but not intended either) for much of it.

For me, the switch to burning fat over gluclose went really, really well. energy shot through the roof, dropped about 20 lbs and two pants sizes. Will it do anything for cancer? Who knows. But, I think that it's reasonable to think that a lower BMI, better metabolism can only help someone's overall health. Like everything, keep an open mind, use some common sense, and stay well.

Rodrigo said...

Perfect!

icrazyhorse said...

The Keto Diet seems remarkably similar to the Atkins Diet. When I went on the Atkins diet I lost 10 pounds over 2 months. And when I went back to my regular diet I gained back the 10 pounds.

Lymphomaniac said...

I agree -- whatever the diet, healthy eating can only lead to good things. And maybe indirectly, that helps with cancer prevention in some way. But there's no evidence that a change in diet will reverse a cancer diagnosis -- none that I can find, anyway.

Like you, William, I've done Atkins in the past. Low carbs, etc. I have a hard time sticking to one, too. Motivation comes and goes. But if I thought it would help make a current treatment more effective, I'd give up my pasta in a second.
Bob

Jackie C said...

I've been on the Keto program for over a year. I'm 68 and I've never been on a more effective diet in my life. I did not start the diet because of the Lymphoma study (never heard of it until just now) but to lose weight for my 50th high school reunion. I lost 35 pounds (my goal) in about 6 months. It was a very easy diet for me to follow because I love all the foods you can eat on it. I miss the fruits and some vegetables that are not allowed, but I was able to make up for those with other things. My Onc was very happy with my weight loss. I will be very interested to see how this study goes....

lettyharry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I am certainly looking forward to the outcome of your research, Bob. So many unanswered questions will finally find rest

eagleeyes said...

Keto is nothing like the high protein high fat Atkins Diet. It's simply a diet with simple carbs removed and replaced with vegetables and a small amount of fat. By the way, Ketosis is a natural state when fasting, which humans are well adapted to prolonged cycles of and causes no harm, and likely extends lifespan. The logical facts are these:
1. Most cancers consume 20 times the glucose normal cells do, and cannot process ketones. (Warberg effect)

2. In ketosis, insulin is lowered along with other tumor/cell stimulating growth factors, with a calorie deficit, shifting towards a state of autophagy (2016 Nobel prize in medicine) in which the body looks to consume erratic cells for resources and signals to slow growth.

Yes, some cancers do grow well on ketones, but they are few and far between and include hairy cell leukemia. But for lymphoma the few cases presented do seem to respond well to keto as a adjunct.

As it's almost effortless and of little cost to change your diet, and logically has the above cancer subduing effects on nearly all cancers, why would you not try it?